90 Riviera Digital cluster

Guest jay48

Guest jay48

Hi, I'm a new member from London Uk and any help with my problem much appreciated. I have a 1990 Riviera which is in great condition except for what seems to be a common problem? - The digital cluster doesn't always work - it comes up Error00 when you first start the car and then after about 5 miles of driving it jumps into life. I managed to get another cluster shipped over to me but my Haynes manual does not give any info on how to remove a cluster from the dash of a 1990 Riviera. I cannot see any fixing screws around the dash and so I am a bit wary of starting this! Has anyone done this - or is there a helpsheet that I could download from anywhere?

I am a visitor from the Reatta Forum that periodicaly looks in on the Riv site. While there is excellant info here there is far more info about your car at the Reatta site as many of the components on your car [years 1986 to 1993] are common to the Reatta.

There are also parts vendors on the Reatta site that sell good used parts so you are less likely to be taken advantage of. [Who you use is up to you].

So stop in, ask your questions as they come up and enjoy your "new" car.

Now on to your bezel. If you look carefully you will see either two or four [there was a running change] #10 torx screws located along the top of your instrument clusters trim bezel. There are one torx screw in each of the air vents and maybe two each [maybe, because of running change] along the top in between the vents. After you get them removed, firmly grasp the trim bezel and pull. The trim panel has a silver top layer and a dark clored bottom layer so be sure that you grab the lower layer of the panel or you break it and then need a new bezel. The trim panel is held in place by snap or friction clips. After you remove the trim panel you will see that the Instrument Cluster is held in by four screws. Remove them and once then grab the cluster on either side and pull with a slight rocking motion and the cluster will just release from it's electrical connection.

Onr of the Reatta Forum members [Ronnie] has built a website with tons of "How To" and short cut hints. You will find his site at www.reattaowner.net

Good luck and welcome!

Edited by DAVES89 (see edit history)

Guest jcc3inc

Sir,

Attached is a page from the 1991 Riviera/Reatta FSM. I hope this will help. I now have a 93 Riv with the same inst panel cluster; these prove troublesome. I have (2) no-op units on the shelf. At one time there was an outfit in the east US that did repair these.

Regards,

JCC

post-40978-143138871898_thumb.jpg

Guest jay48

Many thanks Dave and JCC - that has given me direction! It doesn't look too difficult now that I can see where the fixing screws are. I only use the car at weekends (if its not raining!) and so annual mileage is very low. It has a government safety test due in April so I want to try and get it fixed asap. My other concern is the replacement cluster that I purchased on ebay from a car breaker who said it works fine. I just hope it does! It was only $60 but after customs charges it was a lot more. I will keep you informed of my progress! many thanks again, John.