torque converter

lassejoens

For those of you who are always looking for ways to make your variable pitch ST400 equipped Rivieas, 65 - 67, here's one way to make it quicker without doing any modifications to the engine.

The ST300 two speed transmissions also ran a variable pitch torque conveter. However, the ST300 uses a 12" converter rather than a 13" converter. What this means is that when used with an ST400 transmission, the 12" converter's high stall speed will occur at a higher rpm than the same engine / transmission using a 13" converter. Your car will come off the line at higher rpm's which translates to quicker 60 ft. times and ET's.

It will make your transmission run a little hotter, but an inline trans cooler will take care of that.

Ed

One thing you probably want to do before purchasing a converter (new or used) is to make sure that the previous owner didn't do a transmission swap. Look at the tag on the right side of the transmission to make sure that your trans is from a '67. If it's from a later model, it won't have the varible pitch torque converter in it.

Chances are you won't find a "new" one; probably on ly a rebuild. There's no way to inspect the operation of a converter, so if I were you, I think that I'd opt for a rebuilt one. You'll be assured of getting one that's correct and it should come with a warranty.

Ed

I have inspected the trans, using the guide from the link in the top of this thread. My trans does seem to be a variable pitch trans. My next question is. where do I buy the correct converter? When i browse eBay and Google I can't find a converter marked as a variable pitch converter.

Lasse,

They're probably too rare to be listed.

I made a couple of phone calls and found a place in Florida that has the converter you need. $189.95. USD

Karen told me they don't ship internationally because of weight (39 lbs.) She told me that if you were willing to pay the shipping, she could probably do it though, you'll just need to contact her. She'll need your shipping info to calculate costs.

I told her that I'd give you a link to their website and you could contact her. Email her.

Torque Converters - Transmission Depot

Ed

• 4 weeks later...