Throttle Position Sensor - how to remove

Trey

Greetings - I am stuck on how to remove and install the Throttle Position Sensor on my 1988 Buick Reatta. I have seen an old thread about rigging a screwdriver to fit, but I was curious if there were some other ideas out there. Note that I have removed the two plastic hoses that were in the way, but I still cannot seem to get a good angle on those screws.

I found a low-profile ratchet that held screwdriver bits at the O'Reiley counter. However, now instead of ED01 reading 0.4 and dropping to 0.02 randomly it now reads 0.00 a will not react to acceleration. What did I do to my car? I took the old one out and put the new one in - that is all - what could have gone wrong?

Ok, I did buy the Milwaukee 48-32-2100 OFF-SET Power Screwdriver Head and that made the job a lot easier. Now I have the TPS installed and ED01 now reacts when I accelerate; however, when it is idling it reads 0.00. What could have gone wrong?

Guest Mc_Reatta

Didn't adjust rest position to read between .33 to .46 volts as per spec.

Loosen upper screw, adjust position of sensor by rotating slightly until ED01 reads between 0.33 and 0.46 then retighten.

Seeing 0.4 on ED01 while idling was one of the high points in my life. What I did was I loosened both of the screws, then adjusted by twisting the sensor then tightened one screw. I then twisted the key so I could read the CRT. Once I got 0.4, I tightened the other screw and then connected the two hoses again that I had to remove to reach the two screws.