Finally---17mpg

McDar

First and right up front my 37 Special is not factory correct but tried to stay true to it's original design without a bunch of butchering. Saved everything to convert back after the "Big Trip" which may not happen now with $5 gas lurking on the horizon. Plan was for the journey to begin in the DFW area, on to Florida, up to Hershey, across to Iowa/Minnestota (kin), out to Yellowstone and on to S.F. before returning to Texas. Right now it's getting 17.4 @ 2000 rpm which is 61 mph. Changes were to 12v with alt., a very shallow rear, a 2.73, which the 52 263 straight eight handles with no strain, 225/75R15 radials inflated to 38psi, sunvisor and outside mirrors removed, all fluids now are synthetic, HEI electronic distributor with plugs gapped at 0.060, thermostat is 195, two inch exhaust with low restriction muffler (but not loud), both front and rear ends aligned since rear now has trailing arms to hold in place, and tuned on the chassis dyno with the air/fuel ratio of 15:1 being the target. It has the a/c heat combo but with the torque of this engine I think it will still hover near the 17 figure with the cold air blowing--a must in Texas.

post-57926-143138855504_thumb.jpg

Wow, I like!!!

Some questions.

Where was the pic taken?

Any pics of the engine? Particularly the belt pullys mounting.

HEI info.

How was the fuel/ air ratio adjusted?

After all the expense to modify, the Difference in fuel price , I would think, is small. Go for the trip. I envy you.

Ben

Guest Rob McDonald

5600 miles as the valve-in-head crow flies. 17.4 miles per unleaded regular gallon. 322 gallons x $5 = $1600. What's that - the price of a mega-screen plasma TV? We should be pleased that we have way more interesting ways to spend our money than do our non-car loving neighbours. Take that trip, you'll never regret it.

Guest Rob McDonald

BEN, sorry, I forgot that gas prices in the US aren't yet quite up to what they are here on top of another world-class oil field. In Edmonton, the occasional posting of $0.99 per litre gets everyone lining up at the pumps, with spare barrels and pop bottles to fill. More often, we're paying about $1.079 x 3.78 litres per American gallon = US$4.00.

In Toronto, for example, the cheapest price posted today is $1.257 (over at Danforth and Warden, if anyone's interested), which converts to US$4.75. Greenbacks and loonies are essentially at par these days, by the way. Loonies are prettier, though.

As much as we'd like to see McDarrunt swing up into Canada on his cross-continental adventure, he'll have to consider significantly higher costs for fuel, food, lodging, and everybloodything else. But hey, at least we're polite, eh?

post-59990-143138858413_thumb.jpg

First, the picture was taken right here in the Dallas area a year ago. Most snow ever recorded and a very cold winter. This winter is MUCH better. As to the belt/pulley/bracket set up I used a 52 or 53 straight eight crank balancer with the narrow pulley and a later 235 Chevy fan pulley also for the narrow belt. This came about because the only wide pulley Sanden a/c compressor I could find is for the Flathead Ford and it's too wide. The brackets and head bolts I made. It was so tight a working space that one just about has to pull off the front clip. I just left it off till it was running and working with a temporary radiator. I would have preferred to have the compressor on the right side so the hoses didn't crossover the engine but just couldn't come up with a good way to mount it. The alternator brackect is welded to the front motor mount bracket which was easier than trying to use the factory generator mount holes. It's been that way for 20 years so I guess it's alright. Even though the mount plate is 1/4" steel I think the brace from the outer edge down to a threaded boss on the block is good for taking strain off the head bolts. The quarters are so close I don't know how much can be gleaned fron the pictures but they may help a little bit.

post-57926-143138858137_thumb.jpg

post-57926-143138858393_thumb.jpg

post-57926-143138858399_thumb.jpg

post-57926-143138858415_thumb.jpg

• 8 months later...
  • 4 months later...

An update on the two 76 year old 37 models, the Special and the old man. I replaced the three rubber brake hoses that had collapsed on the inside and barely flowed fluid so I guess it was only fitting that something the same age had plugged up hoses also so had three bypassed. Still want to make a big trip but may avoid high altitude and thin air even though I'm sure the one 37 model could handle it fine. Gas is coming down so the time seems right. I'll post this in the "Parts for Sale" but I have an extra straight eight HEI that I made for a person that never came to pick it up. Has the hold down, hold down studs, and vacuum advance hook up. Everything is new. The HEI set up is twice as expensive and not one bit better than a Pertronix conversion but I wanted something on a long trip that parts could be bought for from any small town parts store. I have noticed that the electronic gives quicker starts and maybe a few more mpg's IF you have a full 12 volts. The old points distributor would fire off with as low as 10.5 volts but not so with the electronic.