Buicks in Poland 1935-1945

Guest bill murray

Guest bill murray

Based on conversations with other members here, I am going to post a series of photos of Buicks only here that were used outside of the US.

Here are a few from Poland.

Bill

post-75348-143138844781_thumb.jpg

post-75348-143138844782_thumb.jpg

post-75348-143138844784_thumb.jpg

Guest Bill Miller

Bill, these are wonderful photographs so post more if you have them. Photo 1 looks like a 1937 Buick, probably Model 91. What bridge has the driver just crossed? Looks like he is driving on the right or else he is avoiding the people in the other lane. Photo 2 looks like the same car as in 1. I am not very knowledgable about the military uniforms, are they Polish or German Wehrmacht? If the latter then the photo will have been taken after the invasion in September 1939. Photo 3 appears to be a different Buick on the right-hand part of the photo, likely a 1938 Limited Model 91 sedan judging from the shape of the windows. Those sure look like German uniforms to me an if so it's then it's probably 1939 or 1940. They are driving on the left side of the street so it's probably 1-way to the right, I don't think they drove on the left side there on 2-way streets even before the occupation. I hope you or someone else can identify the other cars in the scene. Where was the photo taken and can anybody identify the building in the background?

Bill Miller

Edited by Bill Miller (see edit history)

Guest bill murray

Hi Bill:

Thank you for the encouragement.

I believe all are Limited/90 series cars.

The first photo is possibly a civilian one before the invasion.

The second and third are after the invasion. In the third photo the car in the foreground is a BMW.

My research indicates Poland drove on the right (LHD) so the photos may just show an abnormal traffic situation. Bear in mind that other countries at that time drove on the left which would indicate RHD but they had mostly LHD vehicles and other countries drove on the right which would indicate LHD but many cars/trucks were fitted out as RHD vehicles. Very confusing.

I can expand on this if you wish.

I am not sure of the year model of the last photo, I love Buicks, but am not a complete expert on all year models.

bill