’72GS … Looking for help decoding a paint code?

Rivman

As it says in the subject, I have been able to figure out all the codes on the body plate except for number 7 from the tag pictured below.

<O:p</O:p

_72_ri12.jpg

1. ST72=1972

2. 49487=RIVIERA

3. FL1=FLINT

4. 823=BODY NUMBER ... very low for the MFGR date of MAR '72?

5. TR685=985-VINYL BUCKETS-WHITE

6. SCO=SPECIAL CUSTOMER ORDER

7. 661=PAINT CODE-COLOR???

8. A=WHITE VINYL TOP

9. 03B=BUILT 2nd WEEK OF MAR '72

10. A51=985-VINYL BUCKETS-WHITE-once again

_72_ri11.jpg

It was one of the “88” Rivieras ordered with “special ordered paint” and what I have found out so far, thanks to the “technical advisors” and others from the ROA, it was a non-Buick color. That is where my dilemma lies; I haven’t been able to find out the name of the color that is on the car. I am not “absolutely positive” the color is exactly correct but I am thinking it is? I purchased it from the estate of the previous owner and have lots of paperwork that came with it, just not the “name” of the paint. From what I understand it was painted white by one of the previous owners, and then in ’86 it was repainted back to its original light blue. I believe it is at least close to correct as it appears to be the same color as all the nooks and crannies of the sheet metal? Unless when it was painted white, it was a very thorough job, and then when it was painted back to the blue, it was again a very thorough job?<O:p</O:p

I do have other concerns as it doesn’t have the chrome air cleaner cover I have been told it should, but it does have the “W” in the VIN, and I did locate the “WA” engine code. The car is pretty much a mess so the first thing it needs is a thorough cleaning so I can see what I have and where it stands.<O:p</O:p

<O:p</O:p

Any help with the paint code will be greatly appreciated.

Randall,

Sweet lookin' Boat-tail. Not sure of the "exact" color name or if number is correct, but in my past (72-73) was looking at a 69 Pontiac Grand Prix SJ in the same color configuration. I absolutely fell in love with the color, but there were front susp issues & problems that the dealer was not willing to fix before I purchased it. -- He was willing to repair for cost after I purchased-- I walked way from it, as I also had a Burgundy Mist 69 Riviera, white vinyl top and & pearl white int that was in my sights at another dealer--- I opted to buy the Riv, and the rest ,as they say is history and my first foray and love with Rivieras. I look back and actually thank the Pontiac dealer for being so stubborn over the GP's susp repairs. Things could have turned out alot different and I may have never known about the ROA & met so many wonderful people involved with Buicks & Riv's. Any way back to the color-- you may want to check some chips of earlier years-- I did run into a 70 Riv in this color combo last year at one of our local Buick shows--- Hope this helps.

Guest Gran Sport

Any good bodyshop can match that light blue in the future to keep it that color, so, it doesn't really matter what the name of the color is, however, since you asked, it's called "NO SELL BLUE" at least that's it's nickname that the car lots gave it, the reason why is, that light blue is the hardest color of used cars to sell to anyone, the least popular, red is the fastest color of used cars to sell or the most popular.

You should look through all the paperwork that came with the car, because the name of the color might be hiding in there somewhere, that's the best place to look, no one is going to know the name of that color or where it came from, it could be the color of some curtains that some old lady brought in and said "paint it this color"

I hope this helps,

Gran Sport

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the inputs.

I'm sure the color can be matched, I am just curious of the name. It could very well have been a UNC fan that wanted it that color, you might be right about that Gran Sport? I have been out of town pretty much since I got it home so I haven’t had a chance to thoroughly go through the paperwork, which will be my next step. I do like the fact that it is one of the 88 SCO Rivs so no doubt it is a keeper, and even if it isn’t a “desirable” color I will keep it as original as possible.<O:p</O:p