Carb options for 1938 Cadillac 7519F

Guest heartattack

Guest heartattack

Guys, I have search with no good results so hopefully someone here can help. I have a 1938 Cadillac 5 passenger model 7519F limo. Its basically all original accept for the carb and top of aircleaner. When i purchased it it had been stored in a warehouse since the 70's. Someone had replaced the carb with a newer carter 2 bbl version. It was a crude job.

I am trying to determine what carb I can replace it with. Its a 4 bolt flange and looks like its a 70's model carb that was put on it. I trying to fine something fairly reasonable to start out with. Till I see how its going to run and if I'll need to do any major repairs to the engine. Any ideas would be appreciated.

If your initial purpose is only to get the engine running to determine condition of the engine, why not determine what carburetor has already been placed on the engine, and its applicability to the engine?

However, to attempt an answer to your question:

We suggest that when replacing a carburetor with an O.E. (original equipment, as opposed to aftermarket) carburetor that the "donor" carburetor come from an engine that is within plus or minus three percent displacement to the "donee" engine.

I don't know what you consider "reasonable", but probably the least expensive carburetor that fits both this criteria, AND the original manifold without some form of home-made adapter would be a late 1940's carburetor....................from a Cadillac.

Jon.

Your car was originally equipped with a Stromberg AAV-26 carburetor. These were used on Cadillac V8s from 1936 through 1948. There were some slight differences over the years, but any one of them should do you, I would think (please, someone chime in if I'm mistaken!).

There is a code stamped on the left side of the top cover on these carbs. You will want one stamped like:

205-14B

205-14A

205-14

205-1

205-2

The "205-14x" carbs are probably the most prevalent. The 205-1 and 205-2 were the original ones used in 1938.

There are other "205-" series carbs that will work as well (all used between '36 and '48):

205-7, -3, -5, -8, -9A, and -10A.

Hope this is somewhat helpful to you.

Jeff

Thanks for the correction, Jon!

I was basing my information on my 1949 Cadillac Master Parts book. I should not have been lazy and gotten out an earlier version (1942) which does list the AAV-25 as the original carb.

Anyway, thanks again and I hope I didn't confuse the gentleman who posed the question.

Jeff

Guest heartattack
If your initial purpose is only to get the engine running to determine condition of the engine, why not determine what carburetor has already been placed on the engine, and its applicability to the engine?

However, to attempt an answer to your question:

We suggest that when replacing a carburetor with an O.E. (original equipment, as opposed to aftermarket) carburetor that the "donor" carburetor come from an engine that is within plus or minus three percent displacement to the "donee" engine.

I don't know what you consider "reasonable", but probably the least expensive carburetor that fits both this criteria, AND the original manifold without some form of home-made adapter would be a late 1940's carburetor....................from a Cadillac.

Jon.

Thanks for the info Jon, the carb that was on the engine is a 2bbl rochester from around late 60's early 70's vintage. Someone tried to rebuild it and made a mess to say the least. I looked around over the weekend and found a 2bbl rochester reman unit for less than 200.00 at a local parts house. Its an autoline rebuild p/n C903. It has the smaller bore and came on the 327's.