Advice on replacing hood bumpers?

Guest bigoldv8

Guest bigoldv8

Hi Folks,

I'm trying to replace the side bumpers for the hood on our 63 Riv - the rubber rectangles that actually attach through the fenders along the side of the hood. I've got new ones that should be correct, and I've removed one of the old ones, but can't seem to figure out how to get the new one in. I've tried the usual tricks - greasing it up, pushing it in with various tools, etc. My car is painted and assembled so I have to be very careful. Any suggestions on how to get these things to pop in? I imagine if I could reach it from the back I could pull them in without a problem but that's not possible.

Thanks as always for your advice!

-M

Use a little dab of non-pumice hand cleaner like Permatex or Fast Orange.This lubes up the rubber,helps slip into place, then pretty much dries up and vanishes.This works great on sorts of rubber parts.Again, make sure it is the smooth pumice free hand cleaner.Those rubber hood bumpers are extruded then cut to length.Sometimes cut no so perfectly length wise.

I had the same problem on a Cutlass. Hit them with a heat gun...but don't get them too hot. Some may frown on this...but a little heat can soften them slightly. I tried every kind of slippery stuff I could find but nothing worked and it made a mess. Next day I waved a heat gun over them a few times and they pushed right in. Years later, they are still pliable and have no distortion or cracking. Obviously, if you overheat them, they are ruined. PRL