modified reatta pic

Guest mongeonman

This car was built by Rick Starbird, the son of Darrel Starbird the bubble top king. Rick built it in 1990 from an 89 coupe and he used it as a show car advertising his body shop in Derby Kansas. The front and rear were changed and rear wheel openings were restyled and flairs added, but the interior was left stock. Rick changed the name on the car to Riatta. The car was used as a daily driver around the Wichita Kansas area for several years and was repainted House of Color "True Blood Red" and donated to the Starbird Rod and Custom Museum in Afton Oklahoma. There is lots of history at the museum and features rod and custom builders. including George Barris, Gene Winfield, Bill Cushenberry, Boyd Coddington, Ed Roth and many others.

Chuck Kerls

booratta@cox.net

Actually, I rather like the modded design. Most notably the ground effects package and the way the stock rub molding were removed and the sides "cleaned up". I won't say it is better than stock, just different in a good way.

The front end actually makes me think of one of the earlier prototype sketches of the Reatta (save for the fixed headlamps) but I too question how the radiator is kept cool without any real grille to speak of.

In any case, some exceptional skill and work went into that. I admire those who have the talent to do body work so good that it looks like it was original equipment. I cannot imagine the time and cost involved in doing custom work that nice. Truly a first rate mod, unlike some of the beastly things we have seen in the past, like the Reatta with a different front clip. That one would probably take a, uh, Century to sell - pun forcefully intended.

KDirk

Chuck,

Yes, caught that in the recent Bugle. I will plan on being there, hope you can make it too. Was hoping I might make the national this year, but that is not looking so likely right now. At least it is closer to me in 2013 (in Indiana) so with proper advance planning, I will expect to make that one (finally!) and meet some of the usual suspects on here.

Was kind of disappointed that the Gateway (St. Louis chapter of the BCA) didn't do the all Buick show at the Museum of Transportation again last year, as they did in 2010. No word yet on this year either. Just realized typing that that my membership probably lapsed. They must not mail/e-mail out notices for renewal. Sheesh, too many things to keep track of.

KDirk