Smog Stuff Removal on a 67 RRRiv

Guest asmines

Guest asmines

I'm sure someone has taken the smog system off a 67 430. I would like to get rid of the ugly air pump and all the hoses and crap. Any one have any tips. Thanx

Guest carlbraun
I'm sure someone has taken the smog system off a 67 430. I would like to get rid of the ugly air pump and all the hoses and crap. Any one have any tips. Thanx

Your car sounds like a California car...was your car orignally sent to, or sold in, Calfironia?

I know the 65 RIv GS has a different air cleaner than the other 49 states in that its breather is routed to the valve cover...no smog pump though.

I'd throw the stuff in a box and hang onto it for a few years and then sell it on ebay and send your kids to college.

Guest asmines

This is a California Car and it did come with the air pump from the factory. Taking the stuff off is no problem and thankfully the kids are done with college. That said It looks to me Like all the hoses and stuff are a integral part of the breather system. The go into the intake and exhaust manifolds. My concern is how will it run after I remove it all. So I was hoping somebody else had done this already so I could avoid any problems after I've removed it.

Removing the AIR pump should present no changes to driveability as long as you do not create any vacuum leaks during removal. You can plug the holes in the exhaust manifold with brass plugs to be found in any fully equipped auto parts store. The threads may or may not match exactly but the brass is forgiving and will seal/work.

Carl is right about retaining the AIR system. There is/will be a demand to return the car to its original configuration.

I am currently seeking a complete AIR system for my `66 Wildcat if anyone knows of a source.

Also looking for a nice original California closed vent system air cleaner for my `65 Riv GS.

If anyone has the above parts please contact me,

Tom Mooney

• 1 month later...
Guest RivyRob

Or get different manifolds and keep the originals with the pump etc. It will look way better with manifolds without brass plugs.

Rob