1953 Chevrolet pickup - transmission upgrade

A few years ago I bought a 1953 Chevrolet pickup for my son, thinking we could fix it up (it's a solid unrestored truck) as a project. He's just now started thinking that might be fun.

My wife suggested getting rid of the "three on the tree" shift, and possibly putting in an automatic transmission, but keeping the same engine (well, I have a short block that's rebuilt, but I think it's a couple years newer with pressure lubrication, but keeping the stove-bolt six).

Any suggestions on the best way to do this? I would think a powerglide would work, where do you start to find the conversion pieces?

thanks dc

John, interesting Ebay listing, you even have to go take the engine out yourself! Are you volunteering to go help???

Pacerman, thanks for the link to the stovebolt site.....that looks like a great resource, I didn't know about it....

Talk to someone who knows,,

Watch clearence steering box to manifold,,,

Then plan for tilt wheel kit,,,

Simple,,,leave it alone,,or ask lotsa questions,,,Ben

If it were mine, I would leave it a manual transmission vehicle. This would be a great vehicle for your son to learn to drive a manual. Too many people in this world do not know how to drive a manual. I bought a truck for my son and I left it a manual so he will be able to drive our old vehicles. Just my thoughts..IMHO