1963 Chev 327/300hp

Guest Clint

I have a 63 Chev. 327/300 hp. The intake casting # is 3799349 and the Carter AFB # is 3460S BB3. Both numbers are supposed to be correct for a 63 but recently when I pulled the carberator, I found that the heat sink was in the rear of the intake but on the carb. it was in the front. The gaskets at some point had been turned around to block of the heat sink. I would like to hear from anyone who may know why the heat sinks don't match.

Clint, you mean the "heat track" in the carb mounting pad is at the rear of the motor? This sounds highly unusual! When you look at the engine from the front of the car, can you read the casting numbers and firing order or are they upside down? From what you described, it kind of sounds like somebody put the intake manifold on backwards? The heat track should be for the primary side of the carb, not the secondary.

Only way to block the heat going to the carb mounting pad would be to use an intake manifold gasket set with solid metal plates in the part of the manifold gasket for the heat crossover passage. Doing as D Yaros mentions will solve nothing. It's the job of the stainless steel gasket to be the upper seal for the heat track and transfer heat to the carb's primaries to help with carb icing situations in moderately cold and humid weather. It's the heat riser valve's job to modulate exhaust flow so it will or will not go through the heat crossover passage in the intake manifold.

Possibly pictures??

Just some thoughts,

NTX5467

• 3 weeks later...

NTX5467

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I will pull the carb. this weekend and take some pictures of the intake and the base of the carb. Reading your response, I think I maybe did a poor job of explaining the set up. the "heat track" is in the rear of the intake but the "heat track" IS in the front of the Carb. I will supply you more information and hopefully some pictures.