1919 Dodge Brothers Coupe door key

Guest brian j

Guest brian j

Hi. Brian here. My 1919 DB Coupe has outer door locks that appear to be original to the car. They appear to be the skeleton key type. The lock itself has YALE cast into the cover that flaps over the lock. It serves as a "deadbolt" type lock, and is completely independent of the actual door latch mechanism, and has no connection to the "inside" door lock. On the end of the deadbolt it is stamped "DB 78", which i'm assuming is the key code. Can anyone post a picture, or describe the door key so i can hunt one down? Would the door key have DB markings on it? I'm also missing the ignition key, but it should be relatively easy to find, as the Clum number is nice and clear.....i'm going to check a few places. Thanks.

Brian, my '24 Fisher coupe also has a Yale door lock with a DB number. I was told by a very good old car locksmith that DB NEVER used Yale locks. That is until he really checked into it. I have found other BDs with them too. I took my lock out of the door and found a blank, then gave it to him to cut. He MAY have rearranged the tumbler to suit, don't know didn't care because it works. A GOOD locksmith should be able to do the same for you. My guy is in Oregon and suffering from old timers desease or I would refer you to him.

Guest brian j

Thanks. I do have an old time locksmith who is local, and will make keys/re-tumbler locks, and just about anything that needs to be done lock-wise. He still charges 1950's prices, but he's getting up there in years, so i don't know how much longer he'll be doing it. My door locks are configured to need, possibly what i believe they called "barrel" keys. Unlike todays "barrel" keys they are basically, a skeleton key with a hollow shaft, and there is a corresponding "pin" that the key slides over, as it is inserted into the lock. I am going to hit up the local antique shops........they have quite a few old keys.....i wish i could get a pic of an original key so i know what i should be looking for. I'm assuming IF there is a key out there it would have the corresponding #78 to the door locks on the key itself. I'll also give a call to the locksmith, and see what he can do for me.

Later D.B ( late 20s anyway ) used both Yale and Brigss and Stratton and the code was emblazoned on the key in all cases as far as I know if that helps

Guest brian j

Thanks for the "heads up". I did see them and checked the Clum numbers.....none matched. But i DID find a Clum key that matched the ignition on another ad. I'm going to Gibbsoil the key slot tomorrow, and let it sit untill the key arrives, to make sure the workings are free. I sure like that Gibbsoil.....it's a lifesaver when it comes to getting things "moving" again. It also requires patience to be at it's best. But i'm almost out.......i had better order a few more cans! Thanks again!