1963 FUEL GAUGE REMOVAL?

Guest duksters

Hi duk,

70 views and no answer huh . If you are still looking for removal instructions. I just happened to have done this before. (must be the only one) There is a set screw holding the bezel and lens on to the cluster . Remove it and the gauge face. The fuel gauge is bolted with 3 bolts to the printed circuit board behind it. I hope you haven't torn the dash apart trying to get to it from the back. let me know if you need any clarification, Lrg Larry

Just a little FYI. If you are trying to fix a non-working gauge, most likely your problem is in the tank itself, and not the gauge. The senders are notorious in having a flat copper wire on them get brittle with age, and break. I'd check there first. Once you siphon the gas out of the tank, it's not hard to drop to gain access to the sending unit.

My fuel gauge is also as dead as a dodo. I guess there's three parts that can be the problem, the gauge, the sending unit and the wiring between. I gather from Rob's comment that the sending unit is the best place to start? How do I tell if it's busted, any convenient ways of testing it? And is dropping the bloody tank really the only way to access it?