96 Riviera

Guest Jimnauwens

Guest Jimnauwens

My wife bought a new supercharged Riviera in 1996 and continues to love it. The car still runs great, but all the little things are starting to wear out. We are considering purchasing a new car soon because the Riv is becoming unreliable. There is virtually no trade in value to the car because of its age, and we are debating weather to give it to a nephew who will turn 16 in March (parents consent required), sell it as used short trip transportation, or offer it to someone who loves Rivieras, if there is such a person. Is there anyone out there that might be interested in the car? We are located in Orange County, NY. I know it's not a classic, but I think it was the last year Buick made them. It is dark green, with about 140,000 miles, brown leather seats, a few small dings and normal wear and tear.

Also, we have just developed a coolant leak that happens overnight, probably as the engine cools. I suspect the water pump seal but I have not been able to catch it leaking. Any ideas?

Jim Nauwens

Warwick, NY

Because of your number of posts, you probably can't post any pictures yet. But to get some positive responses, you should list a price and offer to send pictures to folks at their email addresses.

At the last few Riviera Owners events, the 95 - 99 class has had the largest number of entries. They do have a dedicated following.

Ed

Guest Jimnauwens

Thanks guys.

Anyone who wants pictures can email me at jnauwens@warwick.net. According to Edmonds.com, the trade in value is about $350, the private sale is about $650, and the dealer retail price around $1100. We will consider all offers.

Jim

Thanks guys.

Anyone who wants pictures can email me at jnauwens@warwick.net. According to Edmonds.com, the trade in value is about $350, the private sale is about $650, and the dealer retail price around $1100. We will consider all offers.

Jim

My '96 had 208,000 miles on it.

I bought another vehicle this past June from a dealer. They gave me $200.00 in trade for it. LOL!

Honestly, I wasn't surprised.

(The sales guy was watching for my reaction)

The car didn't owe me anything, and I didn't have anywhere to park it if I had sold it myself, so they saved me that headache.

I probably would have gotten more for it if I had scrapped it. But that's just not something I would have been willing to do.

Great cars!

Edited by Sweepspear (see edit history)