67 Riv parking lamps...

Guest BIGRIV

Hey guys, has anyone here ever modified parking lamps on a 67 to make them stay on wile the headlights are on? If so, how did you do it?...

Michael,

Riview Volume 3 #2 had a tech tip on this issue. I know thats going back a long time. I just happened to have that issue at my desk. Crazy huh! The tip says to connect a heavy gauge jumper between terminals 6 and 9 on the light switch. I'd think a #14 gauge wire would be sufficient. I can't be 100% certain about the terminal number accuracy but according to the wiring diagram it should be the Purple wire (park lamps) and the light blue wire (Headlamps).

You could also accomplish same by jumping the tan wire (low beams) and the purple wire (park lamps) at the wiring harness up front in the vicinity of either the left or right the park and headlamp. Always good to verify the wire colors with a tester.

Unless someone chimes in who has had this conversion done for awhile, one slight concern is if the headlamp switch contacts are capable of carrying the extra load of two parking lamps. The switch has separate internal contacts for the headlamps and park lamps. Once the wiring is jumped only one set of contacts will carry both loads. Since headlamp switches rarely ever fail in 66-67s, it leads me to believe there was a decent margin of safety built into the design of the switch. I'm inclined to think it wouldn't be a problem. The other option is to wire in a relay to trigger off the low beam and control the park lamps through an alternate power source.

To remove the headlamp switch, there is a small spring loaded button towards the back of the switch. When that is depressed the stem pulls out of the switch then you can unscrew the bezel lock nut. This isn't exactly easy to access but nor is it difficult. I'd be inclined to jump the wiring up front where its easy access. The splice could be completely hidden if done properly.

Just a comment, with this mod the front turn signals will not show up as well at night if the park lamps are on. Obviously the market determined its better to have park lamps on with headlamps soon after 1967 and certainly they will be visible enough. Just not as blaring as a signal light coming on from complete darkness. I always thought these looked cool at night from the front when the turn signals were on.

Edited by JZRIV (see edit history)

Michael,

I believe you just need to move the purple wire for the park lights to the unused terminal on the headlight switch. I would check with a test light to verify that there is power at the unused terminal when the headlights are on. I did mine some time ago and have not had any problems. :D