How much oil

Guest roysr

I own a 1959 Rambler American with the 195.6 flathead motor. The car came without the optional partial flow oil filter.Without the oil filter the engine oil capacity is 4 quarts,I just bought the partial flow oil filter setup that was an option for this motor.Since I installed this do I now add a total of 5 quarts of oil or is it still 4 quarts?

According to the 1963 service manual oil capacity (for the 195.6 engine) is listed as 4 quarts. But it states to add one quart with filter change. So I assume 5 quarts total. Engine size and oil filter option (partial flow filter) were the same as used in 1959. I don't have a 1959 service manual to confirm the language there, but the 1961 Rambler American service manual makes no mention of the oil filter. You may need to put another notch or mark on your dipstick above the 4 quart mark if you don't already have a mark there. Joe

Edited by pacerman (see edit history)

• 10 months later...

Adding an oil filter means your engine will require more oil to fill the crankcase. An extra quart was the standard for ordinary oil filters. DO NOT add a mark to your dipstick!!! You want the engine oil level to stay the same. However, some of the oil will go to filling up the filter at all times - additional space that wasn't part of the oil system before adding the filter. That's why you need to use more oil. Do NOT overfill your crankcase! You may end up with air creating foam in the oil, greatly reducing the lubricating capacity of the oil, and probably causing serious damage to your engine.

Some old service advice suggested sometimes changing the oil without changing the filter, in which case you still used the original amount of oil. It's generally a good idea to always change the filter though, to get the filtered dirt and crud out of your engine. Keeping the old filter means also keeping a quart of dirty old oil. Why mix that in with your new clean oil?

Take care,

Jerry K