WTB: 1930 rear brake actuators

tfee

Both the rear brake actuators on my 1930 733 are cracked/broken and I need replacements. Do any of you know where I can find these? Any help would be appreciated. If I can't find them I will be forced to machine these new and I doubt they will be very cheap.

Thanks

Todd

These are the parts I'm talking about:

post-52604-143138745566_thumb.jpg

I have a 733 rear axle and just checked those parts, one is broken like yours the other seems OK. It must be a weakness with that model. Maybe Packard improved the design on the later models such as an 833.

However I can help you with one. I am in Australia so if you can find the parts locally it would be better.

Thanks for checking Dave. I am starting to lean toward making new ones, the originals are scarce and apparently prone to breaking in to pieces. I suspect that it's mostly due to these parts not getting lubricated. They aren't included in the chassis lubricator circuit and probably got neglected which lead to their seizure. Both of mine were seized shut.

There are grease nipples on the 733 bearings that I have and they are also on both of my 633's. I wonder if the large "U" shaped brackets that support these bearings have been left off your car at some time. If that support was missing there would be a very high load on the flanges that have broken.

BTW these parts look the same on my 633's . There were many more 6th Series cars so it could widen your search.

I am having these housings reproduced at a cost of $400 a pair. They will have a modern seal and be CNC cut from 1018 CRS with new oil-lite bearings installed. Let me know if you need a pair.

Todd

tfee16811 at gmail.com

post-52604-143138753488_thumb.jpg