Spitfire Head casting year

Hello c49er,

Thanks for the Info. I pretty much thought that it was a 251 head, just wanted to ask someone "in the know". I also have another Spitfire head with casting number 869847-1. Have been told it is out of a 41 Chrysler. One difference I noticed was that this head has the Spitfire name in much bolder letters than the later head. assume it to be a 241 head. I plan on installing this head onto a Chrysler Industrial 236 block. Will then install the engine in my 41 Dodge WC12 4x4 Military pick up truck. Should give me a bit more oomph than the 230 I have in it now. Thanks again for the Info.

Hi JC,

Yes that is the date that the block was cast. The block number itself should be found toward the rear of the block just above the oil pan and on the same side as the cast date. The number should be 1119729- 1 or 2. The 217.8 motor only had a 4 hole crankshaft while the 230 motor had an 8 hole crankshaft. The blocks are Interchangeable, but if you want to turn a 217.8 into a 230 you must use both the crankshaft and the connecting rods from the 230 into the 217.8 or vice-versa if you want to turn a 230 into a 217.8. Hope this helps.