1950 Chrysler Saratoga

Guest another Ratman

Guest another Ratman

Hello all, Ok, I have been trying to find out about 1950 Saratoga's and thanks to several members I'm making progress.. However, I'm now pretty sure not many survived. SO... here is my qustion, Does anyone know of another one? I'm finding New Yorker's and Windsor's but not one 1950 Saratoga. Only 1000 made. Miss Daisy (the car) and I are getting lonely. ;) Gotta be one somewhere.

Guest another Ratman

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder right?.. I think total production was 1300. 1000 were the 4dr. and the other 300 were the 2dr. If my production serial numbers are correct. I'm thrilled to have a 4dr. and a production number of only 300 makes me want a 2dr also. Maybe I'll do a little chop work and turn 4 into 2...... It makes me wonder why the New Yorker was more popular. I do know that the Korean war caused some material shortages and that Chrysler had a strike in !950 so production numbers were lower than 1951. Both the Saratoga and New Yorker were essentially the same car. A few more options on the interior for the New Yorker are about it for differences. The original owner of mine apparently had the dealer install a Fuller windshield shade and paint it the matching color (the underside is still green), and while a lot of people don't like after market add- ons, this one looks perfect on the car. Add that to the long wheelbase and hood for the straight 8 motor and wide white walls the car is transformed,. and Its design beauty stands out. I think people wanted a new look after the forties and the Saratoga, (in low numbers) just got overlooked. Stepping back with time. I think the car has all the classic looks and design of many of the great fine cars of the 30's and 40's. but then I'm in love with Miss Daisy. :D

Guest another Ratman

Your car is stunning! 2800 is a nice low production number too. I'm also wondering how many of your New Yorker's are still around? How long have you had it? Did you work on it? What kind of condition was it when you got it? Hope you don't think I'm being nosey. Just curious. The picture of your car is just the motivation I need. Thanks for the pic. I'm going to try to post a picture of Miss Daisy tonight. When I get her finished I will probably have some extra parts. I will keep your info. Ratman

Ratman,

I have had the rust free car since 1976. It had 56,00 miles on it then or close to and now has about 59,000 on it. I repainted it and replaced some chrome with NOS in the last 10 years. Upholstry is original including carpets. I do all my own repairs to keep control of the repair costs and quality!

Guest another Ratman

Bob, again nice ride. I have decided to take mine apart to the frame and clean and paint it. Then repair body dents, etc and then paint. Only a little rechroming and new seat material. Everything else will probably stay original. I like the idea of sending the car into the future in good shape. I know a lot of folks that say I'll mess up the value. But taking in the bigger picture I think the car will be better off by not being a pile of rust at some point. I'm using NOS as much as I can find. If you ever hear of another' 50 Saratoga in existance let me know? Thanks for the inspiration again. Rat

• 1 month later...
Guest Mark Rigotti
Hello all, Ok, I have been trying to find out about 1950 Saratoga's and thanks to several members I'm making progress.. However, I'm now pretty sure not many survived. SO... here is my qustion, Does anyone know of another one? I'm finding New Yorker's and Windsor's but not one 1950 Saratoga. Only 1000 made. Miss Daisy (the car) and I are getting lonely. ;) Gotta be one somewhere.

Don,

I have a '49 2nd series which I am told is essentially a '50 though made in late '49. Looking at the pictures you have it would appear that yours and mine are twins.

Regards,

Mark Rigotti