1949 Chrysler Windsor Hood Latch Won't Open!!! Please Help!

Guest wbonebrake

Guest wbonebrake

OK, so here is the situation. The engine on my 49 Windsor is seized up from not running for years, but was running when it was parked 5-6 years ago(from what the seller told me.) I ordered new rod beaings, piston rings, etc to refurbish the original engine. Well, now I went out to open the hood and start working on the old car, and the cable broke for the hood latch!!! Does anyone have an idea as to how I can get this thing open!? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

Guest De Soto Frank

If you take a good flashlight and look in through the grille, just to the left of the center, you should see the lever where the cable attaches; you can take a 1/4" or 5/16" rod or similar thing and carefully feed it through the grille, get it seated against the lever ,and give it a push towards the rear of the car... this should release the main latch.

If you meet resistance, you might need to have a helper push-down on the crown of the hood while you try to release the latch.

Sorry that the cable broke; good luck on the engine overhaul !

Guest wbonebrake

Thanks for the advice Frank! I actually just got it opened a few hours ago before I read this using the same method you talked about. It turns out that the cable didn't break, but the little keeper nut deal came off. I found that, put it back on, and it works just fine again! Thanks for the good wishes by the way! Have a good one!