Stutz Axle Assembly

Guest searcher101

Guest searcher101

Here are pictures of an Stutz axle assembly offered for sale. It includes the axle with wheels(and brakes) along with the hardware for mounting the included leaf springs. The first picture shows numbers "cast" into the axle and are "10910" to help identify the axle. Please direct inquiries through this forum, this member accepts emails from members. Thank you.:)

post-80258-143138713456_thumb.jpg

post-80258-143138713459_thumb.jpg

post-80258-143138713461_thumb.jpg

post-80258-143138713464_thumb.jpg

post-80258-143138713466_thumb.jpg

post-80258-143138713468_thumb.jpg

post-80258-14313871347_thumb.jpg

post-80258-143138713472_thumb.jpg

Edited by searcher101 (see edit history)

Guest searcher101

Lol, thanks for the input alsancle. I apologize for assuming everyone would know I consider price and shipping are negotiable, I might even deliver it myself... but I guess I am also assuming that the assembly is worth more than shipping costs... :)

Guest A1915dodge

Nice axle I would pay the shipping on that if I needed it! I think ol alancycle though you were selling it as yard art. Not to someone who needs it and is willing to pay what it's worth! Good luck and welcome to the form watch out for the grumpy cheap old guys!lol

I forwarded this to a friend who confirmed it's a 1926 Stutz axle because the backing plates are the ones for the hydrostatic "water" brakes. Almost all cars have since been converted to Lockheed hydraulic brakes. There is one car in the US with the hydrostatic brake system in working condition, and possibly one in Austrailia. By the open holes you see in the backing plates it appears the braking system has been removed. If you took a brake drum off, you'd probably find nothing but a bare backing plate. The Aluminum grease caps that say Stutz on them, if in good condition, are probably worth more than the rest of what you have. While we certainly don't want to see it scrapped, there's just not much of a market for this kind of stuff.

Edited by K8096 (see edit history)

Guest searcher101

Hi,

Thank you very much, K8096, for passing along the 1926 identification. The brake lines have been removed and plugged as visible in the photos. I do not know if the brake mechanism is intact inside the drums or not.

Lol - water brakes huh? Could lead to a steamy situation...

I forwarded this to a friend who confirmed it's a 1926 Stutz axle because the backing plates are the ones for the hydrostatic "water" brakes. Almost all cars have since been converted to Lockheed hydraulic brakes. There is one car in the US with the hydrostatic brake system in working condition, and possibly one in Austrailia. By the open holes you see in the backing plates it appears the braking system has been removed. If you took a brake drum off, you'd probably find nothing but a bare backing plate. The Aluminum grease caps that say Stutz on them, if in good condition, are probably worth more than the rest of what you have. While we certainly don't want to see it scrapped, there's just not much of a market for this kind of stuff.

To set the record straight, there are a significant number of AA Stutz still stopping very satisfactorily with original Timken Hydrostatic brakes, mainly by grace of Ken Stuchbery, whose brother has an AA sedan. Ken found a man in the rubber trade who was able to make excellent replacement sets of bladders for these brakes at an economical price for owners wherever they happened to be.

Self-described as a "plumber", Ken has for decades been a most eminent vascular surgeon who has saved or transformed the lives of many. In restoration, the way the manufacturer did things does have practical as well as historical worth. So please do not disparage those Timken brakes. If people need Timken bladders, get in touch with me and I shall talk to Ken.

I didn't disparage the Timken Hydrostatic brakes, but I did state a fact in that there is a grand total of one Stutz in the United States with this system in working condition. Stutz even sold a kit starting in mid 1927 to convert existing cars to Lockheed hydraulics. If the hydrostatics were so great, why did Stutz sell a kit to convert them then? One reason was that people forgot to put alcohol in the system in the winter to prevent freezing; so I imagine the bladders broke when water froze in them. The car in the US with this system is located in Southern California, where it generally doesn't freeze.