1926 Buick Master Questions

Guest Classicjerry

Guest Classicjerry

We have a 1926 Buick Master 4 door with the Oval window in the back on each side. What constitutes the Master Brougham or how will we figure out what model we have?

I found another front and rear axle and on the other one both front and rear hubs are attached to the drums with 12 bolts. On the chassis we have the front is attached with 12 bolts, but the rear hubs are attached with 6 acorn type nuts. What causes this difference?

The cross bar for the headlights seems to be plated and the headlight buckets are plated as well. Is this how they came in 1926?

Was there different gear ratios in the rear end? What should ours be for the 4 door model with the oval window?

We still need a hood if anyone can help us out. Thanks for all of your input and help, Jerry

The Master Six Brougham Sedan was model 26-51, The model number should be on a plate on the firewall. These came on the 128" wheelbase, being the top of the Buick range, they had the plated headlights and side lights and a built in trunk rack. 10,873 were built.

The master six had the 6 nuts on the rear wheels where as the standard six had 12. Parts are not interchangable between the master and the standard models

Rod

Guest Classicjerry

I am confused. I looked at an ad posted on Ebay of a 2 door Master 1926. In the photo it shows unplated headlights, but on the rear wheels there appears to be 12 bolts holding the hub to the drum - not the 6 acorn nuts like we have on our car?

Thanks for the replies. I am trying to learn, Jerry

All Master models 1924,1925,1926,1927,1928 has 6 bult visible (+6 spoke bults plain on rear wheel) ,and 12 in front.

Most of serie 40s seems to have black head lights ?, and all serie 50s has nickled head lights ?.

When looking at ebay you have to know for sure how the different series look, it could been a serie 40s Master with a short wheel base 120", serie 50 has 128"

The best you can do is to bay the book Seventy Years of Buick by G.H.Damman,you can bay one on ebay between $20-195,that`s the best book I ever had about Buick and I have a lot of Buick books.

Leif in Sweden.

Guest Classicjerry

Thanks Leif,

There is a guy in our town that is selling some parts that he says are from a 1926 Buick. His body tag says 2553. I am not sure what that model is - Two doors. His frame says 1711xxx which would be 1927?? The rear end has 12 bolts. All of these pieces are disassembled so I am not sure how or if it ever was a complete car. I appreciate your knowledge and help on our project. Please continue to help.

Jerry

Jerry.I can`t tell you about the tag.number 2553,but the frame number is from 1927 but I don`t know what model it`s.But if you take a look at your rear axle differential it`s oval and bigger than Standard rear axle diff.Standard is more round.The engine on a Standard are about 4" shoter than a Master.Master has a water in-out on top of the head too,Standard model has it on front of the head.

A picture say more than 1000 word.Wheel from my parts book will fit on Master 1926-1927.

Leif in Sweden.

post-31268-143138687665_thumb.jpg

Guest Classicjerry

Leif,

Thanks for the pictures. It helped to clear up some of the issues. What we have is a Master. Our body tag has a hole drilled in the middle of it, but has the number 9751. What does the 97 stand for? The rear end the guy has for sale is a standard which explains the 12 bolt rear wheels. I am not sure what front end he has for sale.

I found our headlights and they are plated. The cross bar for the lights has been painted black. Was this originally painted or plated?

I am not sure also if all the parts the guy has including the body are standard parts. His body tag was 2553.

Thanks for all your help. Keep in touch, Jerry

Guest 1922 Buick

Classicjerry,

Beware, if the guy in Kalamazoo is Chris Bodnar. He ran an ad in the Buick Bugle 2009 for '26 Buick parts. I bought some '26 parts from him and then later in the year he contacted me so I purchased some additional parts, carb, exhaust and intake manifold for $150.00 that he never sent to this day. After I realized he played the old bait and switch game I turned Chris Bodnar into the FBI for INTERNET fraud. He goes under the name rev616 on the AACA forum, so be forewarned Chris Bodnar of Kalamazoo, Michigan is a rip-off artist.

1922 Buick

Edited by 1922 Buick (see edit history)

Jerry,I can`t help you with those numbers,but I think they could be factory numbers or maybe a Fisher job numbers.But in 1928 the Fisher job number starts with 7580 and the number goes up as later car it`s,so I dont think it`s Fisher number.If Mr Dave Corbin will look at this thread he will answer your question about the numbers I think.

It`s hard to tell if the crossbar was nickled or painted,but if you remove the paint and find the nickel plating,I don`t think anything has been nickled först and then painted.In 1927 Master parts list there are only one crossbar,and there were both painted and nickled head lights so I 1927 they were painted.

Leif in Sweden.