C Pillar light removal - 65 Riviera

whitewatersky

Hi,

about to attempt to pull the light off the C-Pillar ie. the light above the rear passenger's shoulder.

AutoTraderbackseat.jpg

Any hints before I bust something?

just for clarification, I want to lift the trim up from that piller in order to mount the shoulder point of the lap/sash belts in the back.

i guess one has to remove this light cover to change globes, too...

Edited by whitewatersky (see edit history)

Gently remove the white plastic lens. It is held in by 3 small tabs or ears sticking out. They are usually brittle with age.

Once you do that you will see the screws that hold the chrome part to the car.

These are the same lenses used on the sides of the center console up front. They were still available new from GM a few years ago.

here's a link I found thru google:

68 CDV Rear Courtesy Light Cover Removal ?

it's very interesting to see the Caddy version of this lens!

they talk about using a flat screwdriver....

and from:

http://6364cadillac.multiply.com/journal/item/618

willingtoncadillac wrote on May 24, '10

Just a quick note to those who have the type on the left. These plastic lenses are probably pretty brittle by now and patience is key to removing them. A thin screwdriver or blade can be used to carefully pry and lift the tabs out of their holes a bit at a time. If the blade is slid around the edge until it hits one of the tabs, then pry it up, the chances of cracking the lens are less. The ring and housing are one piece on these and screw into place, unlike the Fleetwood unit. HTH, Jeff

OK.... a better Google search led me right back to this forum:

http://forums.aaca.org/f177/rear-console-lens-65-a-264406.html

sorry for the trail above, but I'll leave it for visual reference of the lens (and the Caddy version)

sorry also for this (hopefully) last question, am I relying on the lens flexing in towards its CENTRE to release the tabs , thus having a tab show itself free above the chrome part?

so, for anyone really scared and nervous about breaking ANYTHING on their new (old) first vintage car (like me), here's a pic of the lamp cover just popped out:

DSC09505.jpg

as mentioned in one of those Caddy posts, i actually used a pointy right angled tool to pull the edge of the lens in towards the centre, directly above the tab.

they are much more flexible than I'd have imagined. they make a bit of a click/cracking sound but they survived intact.

Here's the section with the eyeball dangling all zombie-like:

DSC09504.jpg