1935 Packard Window Trim Question

pint4

Does anyone know what the correct trim looks like around the side windows and vent windows on a 35 Packard 1201 Standard Convertible Coupe? Is it a brushed stainless steel or is it supposed to be chrome plated? I am referring to the trim that is on the edge of the glass and seals against the convertible top and the trim around the vent window.

Also wondering how one knows if a 35 Packard car has the original engine in it. Is there a number that correlates with the number on the Vin tag?

Thanks!

Edited by pint4
Additional question (see edit history)

If you're talking about the glass frames themselves they're supposed to be chrome plated. As for numbers, the engine, frame, front axle, steering box, rear axle, all have a number on them with a star at the beginning and end. If they're all within several hundred of each other you probably have the original engine in there. If you don't mind me asking, what concerns you that it's not the OE engine? Also, any pics to share?

If you're talking about the glass frames themselves they're supposed to be chrome plated. As for numbers, the engine, frame, front axle, steering box, rear axle, all have a number on them with a star at the beginning and end. If they're all within several hundred of each other you probably have the original engine in there. If you don't mind me asking, what concerns you that it's not the OE engine? Also, any pics to share?

Are you sure you will find all these numbers on a 35? I have seen them on 1930, but not the 35 - 39s. I just blasted a rear axle last week and saw no number. The engine yes, and data plate, but not axles, steering box, trans or frame.

Unless you have paperwork going back to new, there is really nothing that will tell you if the engine is original to the car. You can tell if it is in the correct range of engine numbers for 35 and also look at the delivery date if stamped and the number of the body and see if it falls sort of in the range that would make sense for that date. Also, no one else can tell, so even if the engine has been swapped with another of the same year, there won't be any loss of value.

Are you sure you will find all these numbers on a 35? I have seen them on 1930, but not the 35 - 39s. I just blasted a rear axle last week and saw no number. The engine yes, and data plate, but not axles, steering box, trans or frame.

On a 35 you should find numbers for the frame right above and forward of the trunion block spring mount, front axle at the right front of it between the backing plate and spring, trans on the flat machined surface facing the rear of the car (sometimes tough to see), rear axle, more correctly, rear differential carrier case between a couple studs, and usually right on top of the steering box. The number to look for in the OPs case would be from 385001 to 390XXX. Pulling a number from thin air, let's say his engine is 388069. The axle could be 388588 and the frame could be 388202. That would still indicate it has it's OEM major components. I've seen some cars differ by almost 1000. How they got to that system I'll never know and won't hazard a guess. I had a 35 Super 8 7pass sedan it proved out on that one. Don't ask me the number. That was in 84 and I don't remember it:eek:

On a 35 you should find numbers for the frame right above and forward of the trunion block spring mount, front axle at the right front of it between the backing plate and spring, trans on the flat machined surface facing the rear of the car (sometimes tough to see), rear axle, more correctly, rear differential carrier case between a couple studs, and usually right on top of the steering box. The number to look for in the OPs case would be from 385001 to 390XXX. Pulling a number from thin air, let's say his engine is 388069. The axle could be 388588 and the frame could be 388202. That would still indicate it has it's OEM major components. I've seen some cars differ by almost 1000. How they got to that system I'll never know and won't hazard a guess. I had a 35 Super 8 7pass sedan it proved out on that one. Don't ask me the number. That was in 84 and I don't remember it:eek:

There are no numbers in those locations on my 35 or my 36.

Interesting. I worked on a 37 12 last year. With the exception of the front axle (IFS) many of the numbers I'm speaking of were in place like the trans and the steering box, and obviously the engine. Are yours perhaps painted in on the frame? Are your numbers elsewhere on the frame? I don't recall where they were on the 37, and the steering box on that car was a bit different. Since many 34 parts will interchange with a 35, I guess I'm at a loss as to what you have there.

If the metal trim around the side window and the vent window divider were to be brushed stainless steel on a 1935 Packard 1201 Standard 8 Convertible Coupe, would this be after market trim or an option from Packard? The trim is squared off versus rounded if you look at the cross section of the trim that goes all the way around the edge of the side window.

Thanks.

The material is most likely stainless from original, but it was chrome plated. To be even more accurate, it's actually a very thin "skin" of stainless around a steel frame on the roll up window. The vent may be completely stainless. I've never seen a brushed finish on a Packard conv window of any year. And yes, stainless can take plating.

If the metal trim around the side window and the vent window divider were to be brushed stainless steel on a 1935 Packard 1201 Standard 8 Convertible Coupe, would this be after market trim or an option from Packard? The trim is squared off versus rounded if you look at the cross section of the trim that goes all the way around the edge of the side window.

Thanks.

Can you post some photos of it? I would guess that someone scuffed the chrome thinking it was dull stainless, or maybe thinking they would paint it. If it is stainless, then you would be able to polish it. While it is possible that it was made in stainless, I have never seen that, and I think what you have is just steel that needs to be plated. It isn't that bad to do the plating and I bet the improvement in how the doors look will be well worth it. I have an extra set of the vent windows on the shelf and I will take a look at them today.