48 Dodge 1/2 Ton - Where to Go?!

Guest spankysinz

Guest spankysinz

Hi All,

I just joined the AACA forums so I hope I'm not breaking some forum guidelines here, but I have a question for anybody who might be in the know about these things.

I recently bought a '48 Dodge 1/2 (hence the thread title, I guess). It still has the original L6 flathead in it that's recently been rebuilt. It runs pretty solid and most of the truck is in fairly decent working order. However, I'm trying to spruce up on a few things such as the brakes, the carburetor (sp?) and a few other things.

My question is, does anyone have any suggestions for parts dealers or, more preferably, websites where I can go to find parts/manuals for a truck this old that uses a lot of it's original parts. Below is a few things I'm looking at right now in particular. Any help would sure be appreciated!

1. The drum brake shoes

2. A front/rear disc brake conversion kit

3. 6 to 12 volt electrical conversion kit (it uses positive ground now)

4. Miscellaneous reproduction parts such as lights, door window handles, etc.

5. Shop manuals

Like I said before, any points in the right direction would be greatly appreciated! Thanks for the help and I look forward to participating in some awesome discussions on the forums!

-Spanky

Most parts can be bought from your local NAPA store or other old school parts store. The parts are available if the parts man can find a good number to order them. You need an old gray haired or bald headed guy. See if you can find out where the local farmers shop.

Another great source of parts and info is Vintage Power Wagons. They have all kinds of parts for Dodge Power Wagons back to WW2 vintage, a lot of the same parts fit your truck.

Do not be too hasty about 12 volts, or disc brakes. The original design is perfectly fine, you are better off to fix the old stuff than tear everything apart and start over. You must face the fact that you have a 60 year old truck with a top speed around 60 MPH that is happiest at speeds under 50. The tires, suspension, brakes, gearing etc is meant for farm fields not the interstate.

Old manuals are fairly common. When your truck was new every dealer had one, and there are still a lot of them around. They turn up on Ebay and at antique car flea markets. Price $20 to $50 depending on condition and whether it is original or reproduction.

The old trucks were good work horses but required a lot more upkeep than todays vehicles. Fortunately they were easy to work on and parts are reasonable. If you get a manual and put everything in good condition you can have a lot of fun on the back roads and quiet streets. Just keep away from the interstate.

Guest spankysinz

Rusty,

Thanks for the advice! It really put it a little more into perspective for me.

I also was hesitant to go around and start upgrading all of the parts on the truck because I'm more interested in the "oldness" of the vehicle rather than gutting her to turn her into a hotrod.

I wonder, however, would it be prudent at least to upgrade the electrical system to 12 volts simply to have a more reliable electrical diagram (i'm currently hooking up two 6 volt battiers in parallel in order to turn the starter).

I do hear you on the brakes issue though. I simply want to find a more easily maintanable way to go about fixing up the brakes because it seems so hard to find reproduction parts for this thing so far. A few ratrod friends of mine say they've heard horror stories of how bad dodge's brake systems were back then. So far though, there seems to be a gap right around the late 40's and early 50's that nobody really wants to provide any sorts of part/conversion support for :/

I've never taken a look at those old/original shop manuals. Do you think those are on the same level as, say, the modern-day Hayne's manuals (as far as step-by-step information wise)?

Thanks so much for your help so far, Rusty. I really appreciate any pointers at this time because this is the first time I've ever ventured this far back into history as far as these old vehicles go!

-Spanky

Your rat rod friends are idiots. Chrysler products had the best brakes in the industry. 60 years on that may not be saying much but they were state of the art when new.

The old manuals are far superior to todays manuals. They are larger, more complete, go into more detail, and the illustrations are better. Even the paper is better quality. The writing is better too.

I have converted old cars to 12 volts. After doing several cars and tractors I concluded I was wasting a lot of time and money. It was quicker and easier to fix what was wrong with the old system. I always ended up fixing what was wrong anyway, even after blowing my money on a new alternator etc.

First thing about a 6 volt system, the wires have to be twice as big as for 12 volts. The old starter cables should be as big as your thumb. If someone has put on skinny modern cables, there is your problem right there.

The other thing is the connections have to be clean. If they get corroded or loose over the years the starter will not work right. Don't overlook the ground cable, check the wires and clean the connections.

If the starter still won't work look in the yellow pages for a rebuilder. Call and ask if they will work on your starter. Chances are they can rebuild it good as new for the same cost or less, as a modern starter.

In most cases you can still buy original equipment quality parts made by Wagner (brakes) Gates (belts and hoses) AC or Champion (spark plugs) and other old line American companies.

In a lot of cases you can find new old stock parts at auto flea markets that are far superior in quality to anything from aftermarket (Chinese) suppliers. Such parts can often be bought for pennies on the dollar. However you do have to educate yourself and go prepared, you have to recognise the right parts and have a list of part numbers because often the seller does not know which part fits what car.

There are other regulars on this board who own Dodge, Plymouth and Chrysler cars built in the forties. They drive them all the time, 6 volt electrics, old fashioned brakes, and all. If your truck is in top shape you do not have to be afraid to drive it provided you respect its age and do not try to do things it was never designed to do.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)

By the way did you look up Vintage Power Wagons? Browse around their site for a while and I don't think you will be worried about a shortage of parts.

Vintage Power Wagons-- Your Source for Dodge Power Wagon Parts and Trucks! -- civilian military m 37, m-37 wc Dodge Power Wagon

Note what it says on the first page. Over 100 TONS of parts recently arrived, 7 containers 40 feet long. 50 tons of New parts, the rest used.

This is ON TOP OF what they already have in stock.

I don't think they will run out any time soon.

PS your truck weighs a little over a ton, imagine 100 of them all dismantled and stored in 7 shipping containers.

Guest Ed_Joyce

I agree with Rusty. Leave it 6 volt and use the truck as an old truck. We drive around a 1928 GB with rear wheel mechanical brakes only (nothing on the front axle) and as long as you keep it adjusted and mind you're driving it is fun. My first restoration project was a 1946 Dodge pickup just like you're working on back in 1973. Learned alot about vehicles working on that truck. Good luck with your project

Ed

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest 40 Buick 51c

Spanky,

These trucks are part of the era that is lovingly called a Dodge Pilothouse truck and I would urge you to visit

Welcome to the Dodge Pilothouse Truck Club

This web site has great information and lots of tech manuals on line. They also have a forum and can help with a lot of areas.

Great trucks, I have a 1949 Dodge B1B 1/2 ton.

Darryll