38 Dodge horn button question

Guest DodgeKCL

The horn buttons are usually made out of bakelite or plastic. Both materials are insulators and do not have any electrical connection to the circuit.

If you look at the diagram you'll see a spring and some copper or brass washers/discs. This bunch of parts form a switch. The horn wire ,which is soldered into one of the discs (or sometimes terminated with a crimped on brass/copper button), is grounded when the button is pressed down and the copper or brass disc touches the steering wheel center post or the nut that holds the wheel on. The switch is opened when you let go and the spring pushes the button back up. It was done this way for many years until the 'horn ring' era came along.

In any case the 'switch' worked in some fashion like this using the ground of the wheel to complete the circuit.

Guest Knucklebuster

My '34 has been in storage while bldg a shop. Going down this week to look at the column because I have inherited some old duece and a half horn button kits thru military surplus. They have the old brass springs and plates. Maybe the guts are close enough to modify. It would be internal and out of sight at least. If so will post and see about dispersing them to needy DB families ;)

I know the hood hold downs on our dueces look almost identical to old stuff and the lug nuts are same as my 1 1/2 ton. Seems ironic that the toughest truck I have ever driven in the service has so many "vintage" style attributes. Every day I see how smart the old timers were. They did get it right. Except for pot metal I am amazed how long their stuff has lasted. When compared to throw away vehicles of present times.

Will holler at ya Rick when I have an answer