Parts/repair advice

Guest Bert Levy

Guest Bert Levy

I have a 1928 Chrysler, 4 dr., model 52, 4 cyl. engine. I believe it is a Maxwell engine. The engine has been rebuilt ( and I mean rebuilt- cylinder bored, new pistons, crank and rods rebabbited, valves and seats all re-done) but it is still producing a very black sooty combustion. This is inside the engine and extends all the way to the end of the tail pipe. It appears to be a spark advance problem. About a week ago, I had a mechanic (one experienced on old cars) look at the set-up. He says the problem is with the distributor, it is not automatically advancing. He advised to get a rebuild kit and rebuild the distributor. Please note the engine runs well.

The distributor is a Delco-Remy model 638C, serial 119050. I cannot find a supplier of parts for this distributor.

Any help would be most appreciated. If you don't agree with the distributor being the problem please suggest your solution.

Bert Levy

Guest Bert Levy

Yes Rusty, you are correct; black soot or smoke is caused by too much fuel. If I cut back on the main fuel mixture the engine loses power. Since the engine has been completely rebuilt and can now only think it is something preventing a proper burn. This could be not enough air reaching the combustion chamber or PERHAPS too late a spark and hence an incomplete burn. I am open however, to any and all possibilities.

Oh yes, they definitely had mehanical advance in 1928. The distributor I have definitely has one and the manual for 1928 mentions same.

Bert Levy

Guest 1hooligan

A good way to tell, is get the engine started, LEAN IT OUT AS YOU ARE MANUALLY ADVANCING THE DISTRIBUTOR at a high rpm, say 1000, If it runs well..........then you know.