Power Vent replacement gears for '65

buickbonehead

Tom:

They don't fit....unless there is a difference in the '65 Rivi power vents and the big cars?

I thought the Rivi's and the Electras/Wildcats/Impala's were the same.

Here are the pictures. Is this motor the same that is in the '65 Rivi?

DSC03792.jpg

The replacement is on the right. Notice the gear diameter is smaller on the replacement. It is too small to engage the worm gear.

DSC03791.jpg

The replacement is missing the extended shaft on the bottom.

DSC03793.jpg

Edited by buickbonehead
Spelling (see edit history)

Hi,

You may want to remember why the original gears would fail, they were made of pot metal for a reason, so they, rather than the steel worm gear on the armature shaft of the motor would not.

GM would rather have replaced the cheap gear than a motorl.

I would be concerned about the gear being of same or harder temper than the worm shaft gear.

years ago I purchased remaining GM inventory of the original gears. There were just 5 passenger and 4 driver side gears in the whole gm parts inventory. They cost me $15 each, those were the days

Dale

Hi Rick,

Your motor is a `66 and later version which is quite different than the `63-`65 Riv motor. I assumed a `65 big car would use the same motor as the Riv but in hindsight the `65 Riv was based on the earlier models so Buick may have used different vent motors for other models. Do you have a `65 Buick parts book? Do you have the right motor for your `65 big car?

Tom Mooney

I guess I owe Hydroelectric an apology! This motor does fit my '65 Wildcat. I have several sets of these. Fortunately two sets have the full range of motion. The gears are still a little worn but I wanted to replace them since I was this deep into the doors.

I recall seeing some motors stamped '64 and '65. I don't know if those were date stamps or not. I'll try to post some pics of those. I guess the big cars switched over sooner than did the Rivi's.

I've heard the power vents were not offered on the Wildcats. I've only seen them on Canadian built Cats. Thanks for solving the mystery for me Tom.

I guess it's off to ebay with these repop gears since I've had them for more than a year.

Regards,

Rick

No vent windows period on the Rivs from `66 and up...you are correct, power vents on the Canadian built Wildcats only, not the U.S. versions....I`m currently installing power windows and vents from a Canadian parts car on my `66 Wcat driver...who would order a convert with crank windows!? Ugh...

Another "interesting" fact regarding Canadian built Buicks...the Canada Salesman`s Manuals identifies the "Super Wildcat" as the SINGLE 4 bbl 425 unlike the U.S. versions which use the term to refer to the DUAL QUAD 425. Go figure..

Tom Mooney

• 4 weeks later...