61 Buick Special Where to start?

Guest pothookit

Guest retired wrench

I would think the engine is probably locked up as they are mostly aluminum.I would look at the frame and suspension to see if it is in good enough shape to warrant the effort of getting the car back in too shape then if it is remove the drive train and start the rebuilding !!!

Have Fun!!

I would think the engine is probably locked up as they are mostly aluminum.I would look at the frame and suspension to see if it is in good enough shape to warrant the effort of getting the car back in too shape then if it is remove the drive train and start the rebuilding !!!

Have Fun!!

Did you read the thread????

Engine is freshly rebuilt.

Guest COMPACTBC
:)Don't do the valve seats, it is generally not necessary and can get you into a lot of trouble. They came hardened from the factory. Go to the Compact Buick Club website www.compactbuickclub.org and register (upper right hand corner) fill in all the details on your car at the "profile area" and if you like what you see, join the Club. It's only $12.00 a year. We have a world of specific, quality info that will save you $$$ and avoid costly mistakes. Also we have part sources and some parts available.

Guest pothookit

Oh thanks for all the comments and advice. I need all I can get sometimes(probably most of the time and just don't know it).

First about the heating without coolant. I have only ran it for about 30 sec. at any one time. Then hours of cool off. The motor is suppose to operate at 180 deg. , in a short time(less than a minute) the heads, values, pistons don't reach high temps. Suppose to get rad. in next week or two.

I have had three of these cars in the early 60's and 70's. Well yesterday at 63 yrs old, I read the service manual on timing, and I used the front piston on the left side of the engine(facing engine) as number 1. ambr607 you were right. Well a friend(only 40) told me something I have never known about engines. The head/piston that is futherest forward(facing engine) is the number 1 piston. I have never known that. So number 1 is on the right (facing the engine) and with proper wireing of the plugs and it starts and runs with no problems. Started this morning(about 50deg. outside) with no touch of accelator pedal. Runs great!

try this link to fb for my startup vid.

Patrick Thurman's Videos | Facebook

Thanks again for the comments.

Guest pothookit

Thanks DJ,

For sure on the coolant. I do have one other problem in my way. I need a passenger side front wheel cylinder. Hard to find. 1" bore.

I did have a steel bushin made today for the '62 center bearing support so that it fits my '61 bracket. Looks like that will work like a champ. Also straightened a slight bend in the rear half of drive shaft. All four new u-joints.