1919-1920 Axle and Tank Strap Failure

daveduricy

I am looking for anecdotes, either contemporary or vintage, of axle and gas tank strap failure on 1919 and 1920 Maxwells. Searching through magazines and newspapers of the time has revealed surprisingly few stories of what has generally been repeated in secondary sources as common failures. Insights welcome!

Thank You,

Dave Duricy

Dave, can't relate any period information but maybe my experience will shed a small amount of light on your quest. My 1917 Maxwell was found carrying 1929 plates so I assume that was near the time it's own rear axle grenaded and retired it. I don't know if that was it's first failure or not. I've spent the last 3 years buying the contents of at least 10 rear axles from all over including new Zealand! All 10 have either suffered catastrophic failure in the past or were in the process. A fellow collector did a Rockwell hardness test and verified the ring and pinion gears were overhardened to the point of being brittle. I have one that failed was repaired with all new parts and the case cracked a very few miles later probably from the previous failures stresses. I was sure this was a good source as the parts had no wear but when cleaned were found to have hundreds of tiny hairline fractures. Other owners have told of putting cars back together with the least damaged parts they could find. Personally I wonder if Maxwell's production line wasn't stretched too thin with both car's, the newly introduced trucks and the added stress of WWI Tank production (which was done in secret). When mentioning this to a non car friend and telling him of the "Good Maxwell's" advertising a few years later he remarked it was almost as if they were saying " Sorry about that junk we sold you before"!!

Howard Dennis

post-33891-143138586926_thumb.jpg

Edited by hddennis (see edit history)