Mopar Flared Fitting

I sprung an oil leak on my "PA" Plymouth at a flare fitting connecting the oil filter and the oil guage to the main oil gallery. At first I thought this was due to a loose connection............so I tightened it up a bit. The leak persisted. After working and sweating (it's in the 90's here in Atlanta) for several hours; trying solutions and studying. I determined the threads in the holes the tubes with the flares go were stripped. So off to my favorite super hardware with the many cluttered shelves and hard to find stuff............but to no avail. They had several hundred types /sizes/descriptions of fittings, but none like mine. McMaster Carr.........no luck........MSC..........no luck..........even called a flared fitting supplier in Michigan. No one knew of this type. My '28 Chrysler has one similiar to the Plymouth one also. Seems this was a common design feature of late twenties/early thirties Mopar oil guage, oil filter design. The question is " Where can I obtain a new one? I have included several pics of the part both the chrome plated one from the Ply mouth and the one my '28 series "72" parts car. There is also a pic of the side of the Plymouth block showing the mounting hole and the lines leading to the oil filter and the oil pressure guage.

post-34905-143138579966_thumb.jpg

post-34905-143138579969_thumb.jpg

post-34905-143138579973_thumb.jpg

Edited by Harry J. (see edit history)

With the old one ( which will be returned ) as a sample, I can make you a new one for around $20.00. It will be brass. Chrome plating would be extra. Dan

Looks like a standard Weatherhead fitting to me. Called a street elbow. Except, I cant find one with a double outlet. The closest match is a pipe street tee, see this page and scroll down to the fourth fitting from the bottom.

Brass Fittings

This would work if you can bend one of your pipes 9O degrees.

Your local auto arts dealer or industrial supply may have a Weatherhead catalog with the correct fitting.

Rusty.............Thanks, as I mentioned I checked with every supplier I could think of and google, to no avail. I have worked on this seemingly simple fix for some time; and Nickel roadster came down to help. Turns out the threads in this odd flared fitting were crossthreaded. Since we could not find a replacement, I had to repair the one pictured. This required doing some reengineering. Turns out there are several variations of flared type fittings. We changed from one type to the other at this problem spot. The conical connector in the fitting had to be drilled out and the threads retraced with a bottoming tap; then the other type flared system was adapted. New tubes were formed, flared and supplied with the proper new nuts. Now it does not leak. Here are some pics of the result.

post-34905-143138582032_thumb.jpg

post-34905-143138582036_thumb.jpg

post-34905-143138582041_thumb.jpg

Edited by Harry J. (see edit history)