First Generation Riv Owners

Guest Kingoftheroad

Guest Kingoftheroad

Many of you have factory cruise control ?? Did it / Does it work ?

I've had my car a long time & never tried my cruise control, don't even know if or how it works..

Before I retired my '63 for a full restoration (in progress) the cruise worked. You first set the needle on the speedometer for the desired mph. Take the car to that speed, then depress the cruise button on the dash. If the light comes on, you should be powered by the cruise control. It's an electric control. There are + and - contacts on the back side of the speedometer head. When the speed falls, the + contacts meet and the controller pulls on the throttle shaft. When the speed goes above what has been set, the - contacts meet and the controller relaxes its pull on the throttle. +-+-+-+- and the speed holds. The really nice thing about cruise on these cars is that the torque of the engine allows the car to cruise comfortably without too much throttle response.

Give it a try and see what you have.

For you guys who don't have cruise control, the needle on the speedometer is a speed minder. Set it for the max mph you want to drive and when the speedometer reaches it, it will buzz at you reminding you to slow down. Don't keep moving it up or you'll wind up like my dad did. He got stopped for "cruiising" his '63 Wildcat at 93 mph across Wyoming.

Ed

Guest Kingoftheroad
Before I retired my '63 for a full restoration (in progress) the cruise worked. You first set the needle on the speedometer for the desired mph. Take the car to that speed, then depress the cruise button on the dash. If the light comes on, you should be powered by the cruise control. It's an electric control. There are + and - contacts on the back side of the speedometer head. When the speed falls, the + contacts meet and the controller pulls on the throttle shaft. When the speed goes above what has been set, the - contacts meet and the controller relaxes its pull on the throttle. +-+-+-+- and the speed holds. The really nice thing about cruise on these cars is that the torque of the engine allows the car to cruise comfortably without too much throttle response.

Give it a try and see what you have.

For you guys who don't have cruise control, the needle on the speedometer is a speed minder. Set it for the max mph you want to drive and when the speedometer reaches it, it will buzz at you reminding you to slow down. Don't keep moving it up or you'll wind up like my dad did. He got stopped for "cruiising" his '63 Wildcat at 93 mph across Wyoming.

Ed

LOL, doesn't surprise me none. Anyone that has been behind the wheel of one of these cars knows it ain't hard to go fast and not realize it, its effortless.

thanks.

Another thing to look forward to doing.....:) I'll have to try it next time I'm out. I was out there puttering around, tweeking things...

Guest Kingoftheroad
If you have a chassis manual, there's a detailed set of diagnostics you can run to help you get it working and/or tweak it for optimum performance.

Ed

Thanks for the information, it will come in handy.

For you guys who don't have cruise control, the needle on the speedometer is a speed minder. Set it for the max mph you want to drive and when the speedometer reaches it, it will buzz at you reminding you to slow down.Ed

So do I understand right, that needle is either cruise either buzzer reminder, and it is not possible to have both ?

Don't keep moving it up or you'll wind up like my dad did. He got stopped for "cruiising" his '63 Wildcat at 93 mph across Wyoming.

:-)