Brake Master Cylinder -- what do you recommend?

Guest Industrialdeere

Guest Industrialdeere

The Brake Master Cylinder on my Stutz 1926AA was changed out by a previous owner. I understand that this is not such a bad idea. But this one is leaking, and is attached by only one of three bolts. Can anyone recommend, or sell me, a replacement that will attach by all three bolts and --of course-- can hold its fluid? Thanks.

I recall other cars of late 1920's and later used the same Lockheed master cylinder. I recall seeing one from a Chrysler I reckon would exchange. If yours is damaged where two of the bolts or nuts were missing it should be possible to repair, even by attaching replacement pieces. A very good brazing mateial with oxy/acetylene torch is nickel-bronze rod, which has better strength than the original material. You should be able to get standard rubber-ware; and I always have brake cylinders re-sleeved with stainless steel. I have a pretty good workshop, but I don't bother to do this myself because it is so reasonable to get it done outside.

I am almost sure that Ken Stuchberry still has someone who can re-make the bladders for the original Timken hydrostatic brakes if you still have all the parts and want to return to original. Ken's brother Ian still has the original system on his early AA sedan and they work well. I am not aware if the bladders have been replaced again since the first replacement set probably over 40 years ago. I can get you Ken's contact details or ask him for you.

Guest Industrialdeere

Thanks Ivan. I appreciate the input. The one I have doesn't seem to be worth the trouble.

Guest Industrialdeere

I don't know if it is the same. I have sixteen inch drums. I can send photos if that helps.

Thanks so much for replying.

Steve