rear view mirrors

Guest greg walsh

Although many of you know that I would promote the Marmon accomplishments incessantly if I could, this is one of the great myths of motor cars. rear view mirrors were sold as aftermarket items well before the 1911 Indy. Marmon and Harroun were not the first to use it, just the most famous early user. Between the mirror, an oil delivery system operated with the left hand, under the drivers legs, and a fuel pressurizing system operated by the right hand and mounted on the inside right side of the drivers compartment, The wasp was able to race without an on board mechanic, unlike all other drivers in the race. When I drove (okay - steered) the wasp pulled behind a golf cart, I was struck by the very limited efficacy of the mirror. Due to the flat mirror and positioning, you are only able to see a very narrow angle behind and to the right of the car.

As far as passenger side mirror, you should be able to see the passenger side fender mounted mirror on my 27 Marmon e-75 speedster in my avatar. Also our 1911 Hudson Model 33 has a drivers side window mounted mirror. The car was built well before the Indy race. Sorry for the poor picture but it's the only one with the mirror that I have access to.

post-59076-143138555767_thumb.jpg

Edited by sambarn
Apologizing for pic (see edit history)