First Ford Post, 1964 Ford Fairlane 500

Guest Jonny88

Guest Jonny88

Hi everybody, this is not my first post on the AACA site, but it is my first post on this section of Ford owners. I recently traded my 1951 Oldsmobile super 88 for a 1964 Ford Fairlane 500 two door. The reason for my trade. My Oldsmobile was %95 original, worn out and needed everyting rebuilt, I will miss it but was going to have to put 5,000 dollars for a rebuild of both the trans and engine. The entire car needed a full restoration, it was worn out, after 61 years of course. I dont have the finances to fund that project as I am still in college now. A fellow came to me today and wanted to trade me the 64 fairlane for my Oldsmobile. The 64 needs only minnor things. Electrical for the horn and turn signals, and the gas gauge does not work. Thats all that needs fixed. The car does not have a spot of rust on it, and man does it sound great. The past owner put a Cobra 305 Mustang engine in it and I think it still retains its original automatic transmission, maybe. Anyhow let me know what you guys think of the new 64 Fairlane 500, as it is my new classic car, I am done with the Oldsmobile until my next car. Pictures are listed below.

post-72127-143138552333_thumb.jpg

post-72127-143138552583_thumb.jpg

post-72127-143138552587_thumb.jpg

post-72127-143138552589_thumb.jpg

post-72127-143138552592_thumb.jpg

post-72127-143138552595_thumb.jpg

post-72127-143138552597_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Jonny88

ha, you guys are funny. My oldsmobile, now past antique car, was a dandy to look at but needed countless mantiance. The engine, Trans, and electical needed completly rebuilt. I just did not have the finances to continue with the project. The Olds was just wore out after 61 years. If I was set financially right now, only in college at the moment, I would have fixed her up real good.

I now have the 1964 Ford Fairlane 500, have had it since we traded since last saturday. Man is this car in great shape compared to the Oldsmobile. Now I like my GM cars pre 1965 only, but I am also a big fan of Ford cars and trucks pre 1971. This Fairlane, 1964, has a 302 in it, and it will fly. I will need to do a little tweaking on the car through the coming months and year.

First on my list is to address my throttle linkage problem. The ball and socet joint that connects the rod that goes to the gas pedal. The socet is wore real bad and will have to find a replacement as I have alread experienced the linkage part falling off, bad, easy fix.

Next would be to get the engine timed, It does run pretty smooth, a little rough, could be a performance cam that was installed, I would be-able to tell the diffrence to a degree. Also when I start the motor, or attemp to, It guurrs over like the starter is heavily strained, It could be from all the high compression, the starter motor going out, or the timing issue.

Please let me know what you guys think, I am still a novice at this stuff, but love every minute of it.

The other problem that I need to fix is the heater, which does not work, and the electrical, everything works aside from the instrument pannel dash and turn signal harness, The electical is a mess, wires everywere, and the wire that goes to the sending unit for the electric fuel pump is bad, had to splice another one.

After these few tweaks, oh and a front end alighment, the car will be 100 percent finished. These are all minor issuess which will not cost as much compared to what I would have to spend on the past 51 Olds I had, which left me stranded five times. One problem after another, I guess that is what you get with old cars, I still love em and enjoy them.

I made out on top with this car, That man was crazy for my past Oldsmobile though, he had seven other ones, guess it doent matter when you want something that badly, I have really grown acustom to that Ford, 1964 is the last year of the Fairlane that I thought looked the best, in 65 they went to the square tailights.

Let me know what you guys think, I will post a past picture of the Olds, the Ford that I now own is pictured above.

Thanks guys.

Jon

Guest Jonny88

I could never thank my Oldsmobile friends that have helped me on this project, I will be back with another one down the road hopefully.

post-72127-143138576719_thumb.jpg