What is the correct side mirror for a 61 and 62 Buick?

cjp69

I have seen 59 - 62 big cars with both the Tri Shield mirror and the "Buick" mirror. Can someone please tell me what is correct for a 61 and what is correct for a 62? Was there any carryover from previous years, which might make either correct depending on build date?

Also, do the mirrors interchange, and will they work on either side of the car or are there different mirrors for drivers and passenger sides?

Thanks in advance,

Chris

Both of my Electra's, 61 and 62, have tri-shield mirrors and neither look to have been changed from new. The 61 was converted to RHD when new and has the same mirror but mounted on the right side door. It looks OK so I am fitting a pair of reproduction ones to my 62 as it remains LHD. I am pretty sure that no mirror was specific (if even available) for the right side at that time. It is possible that both styles where available during 61? Although not very clear, the 61 sales brochure seems to show an Invicta with the BUICK style mirror? Of course this is not a photograph so not really a useful guide.

Rick

Both of my Electra's, 61 and 62, have tri-shield mirrors and neither look to have been changed from new. The 61 was converted to RHD when new and has the same mirror but mounted on the right side door. It looks OK so I am fitting a pair of reproduction ones to my 62 as it remains LHD. I am pretty sure that no mirror was specific (if even available) for the right side at that time. It is possible that both styles where available during 61? Although not very clear, the 61 sales brochure seems to show an Invicta with the BUICK style mirror? Of course this is not a photograph so not really a useful guide.

Rick

Thanks Rick,

I just heard from another member and he also said the tri-shield is correct for 61-67 and that they interchange side to side. This is also consistent with what CARS has.

CARS lists the BUICK mirror for 59-60.

Thanks, Chris

Guest 60electra225

CARS lists the BUICK mirror for 59-60.

Thanks, Chris

and there are still differences between the '59 and '60. The '59 had 5 rings around the glass, whereas the '60 was plain (generally, depending on when the '60 was built, it might have one with the rings (as mine does as it was built late '59).

I just heard from another member and he also said the tri-shield is correct for 62-67 and that they interchange side to side. This is also consistent with what CARS has. He said the 61 mirror looks just like the 62, but has BUICK on it. The 59-60 mirrors look different than the 61/62's.

CARS lists the BUICK mirror for 59-60 but does not have the 61 mirror.

He also said a lot of mirrors were put on at the dealership. I have seen 60 Buick mirrors on a 61 and maybe a late 61 with a 62 mirror. I don't think the dealer really cared what was correct for the car they just wanted to sell you a mirror.