Need Help ID Straight 8

Guest Speedy21

Guest Speedy21

I just bought a 1939 Buick model 41 and was looking for info on the motor. There was a # on the pass side block that reads 43764269. the only other # that i could find was on the exhaust manifold it reads 1306218-2.

Thanks, Shane

G'day Speedy21,

Welcome to the '39 Gang Shane.

There are plenty of us here and I'm sure your questions will be answered.

What info are looking you for about the motor??

What part of the world are you from and what are you going to do with your new beast ??

Danny

Guest Grant Magrath

Hi Shane.

Another member of the 39 gang then? Welcome! Dave Corbin will be able to tell you about your motor, right down to the month of manufacture. And if you could show us pictures of your car, that would be fantastic!

Cheers

Grant

Welcome to the wonderful world of 1939 Buicks :)

We like pictures !

From http://www.teambuick.com/forums/view.php?pg=indent_engine_til_52 43764269. is a 1939 Engine (first 4 = seres 40)

If you list the chassis number on a plate near the starter motor and details on the firewall data plate the ever helpful Dave Corbin is likely to give you more information when built

Edited by 1939_buick (see edit history)

Guest DaveCorbin

Dear Shane:

The engine number you give decodes like this: The lead 4 tells us it's an engine for a Special series 40 car and the balance of the number of 3,764,269 is the actual and unique serial number of the engine. It may also be used as the VIN number on your title as many states did it that way.

The engine is a late 1939 engine, probably built around the second week of May 1939.

Another number that's very important is called the frame number and it's sometimes used as the VIN number. It's stamped on a small plate mounted on the top of the right frame rail just behind the battery and it's tough to see.

The first digit will be a 1, 2, or 3. 1 is a car built at Flint, 2 is a car built at Southgate CA., and 3 is a car built at Linden NJ. The balance of the number is the actual frame number unique to your car. I would expect it to be between 3,565,000 and 3,585,000, probably above the middle of this range.

Also, I can decode those paint and trim numbers on the body tag for you if you post them.

I hope this helps. Be sure to join the Buick Club!! My 1939 is a Roadmaster sedan, a big brother to your car.

Regards, Dave Corbin

Guest Speedy21

Thanks, guys for the info here is some more info I found for you

-

Frame # 23491105

Body tag reads

1939 MOD 41

Style#39-4419

Body #C6824

Trim # 700

Paint # 563

-

I will try to get some pic's up soon

-

Thanks, Shane

Guest DaveCorbin

Dear Shane:

The numbers you give tell us that your car was built in Southgate CA. This is confirmed by the first digit of 2 (Southgate plant code) in the frame number and the C in the body number which is the Fisher body code for the California body plant.

Trim code 700 is for Tan Bedford Novelty Cloth. There is no paint code 563. I think it's probably code 533, which is Zion Maroon. You need to check this. The body number of 6824 and the frame number (2) 3,491,105 both would indicate a very late Feb. 1939 assembly date.

I hope this helps.

Regards, Dave Corbin

Guest Speedy21

you are right i am reading/typing funny paint code reads 536 not 563.

-

based off this info and what i can see can you tell what motor/trans were in this. I think from what i can find it is a 248? I know nothing about these old motors and in that fact anything about these old Buicks. I bought the car to build a low buck hot rod for my wife, I have a 48 Ford Truck. I liked the lines and the look of this car as it is something different and the price was right too. My wife would look thru my mags and point out the model A sedans she wanted me to build. I was able to get her to see my vision for the car. Chopped/Dropped and Channeled Bare bones type ride.

-

Looking at the motor and what I was able to gather from the owner/owner before was the motor had been gone thru, how much no one seems to know. Just looking at it with the frt clip pulled off someone had done some thing in its recent past as it is way cleaner then the rest of the car and the rest is pretty clean for what it is. It has a band new dis cap points cond wire plugs. pulled the valve cover off and it is clean as can be under there. Pulled the dip stick and oil looks as good as oil is to (not milky/smell like gas) and full no leaks that i can see. Turns over by hand with minimal effort. Is there anything else i should check or do before trying to get it running. all the old 6volt wiring was junk and has been removed can i throw 12v at it to get it running. What would i need to hook up 12 volt lead to the coil and then to distributor and crank her over.

-

Thanks, guys for all the info/help Shane

Guest DaveCorbin

Dear Shane:

Paint code 536 is "Light Yosemite Grey". The wheels would be Yosemite Gray with white stripes.

With this you should have a pretty good fix on what your car looked like originally.

regards, Dave Corbin