28 Pierce Arrow open car top mat'l?

Highlander160

I know that in 28, especially in the more individual or high end cars, there were top materials that would differ from we've all come to expect. So, my question is what was the generally used material on a Pierce Arrow? Were all models canvas (Haartz) or were there some with the long-short rubber based stuff similar to Fords and other production makes? We have one coming in and it's an "organic vinyl" type of material. It will need side curtains and I need to know if the coated stuff is acceptable. If it's wrong I need to make a top for it as well. Thanks in advance.

Consider this an interim response until trimacar chimes in, as he is far more qualified:

Through 1928, Pierce-Arrow used "Pantasote" as the default top and side curtain material. One **could** I suppose order canvas, but Pantasote is always authentic. Haartz Company Welcome to the Haartz Corporation has been reproducing a number of varieties of Pantasote, which is quite different from the more common long-grain top decking, which is coated.

You can order free samples of Pantasote from the Haartz website. My 1922 Paige 6-66 used Pantasote with what appears to be a cavalry twill liner bonded to the inside, and Haartz has it. I suspect that the larger P-A series 36 in 1928 used a separate cloth liner, however.

George has it pretty much nailed, including the link to the great website of Haartz Corporation. It's great that this company understands the part they've played in automobile history, and keep the old materials available.

I'm not going to go into materials here, as the website does it so well.

I'll start by saying that I'm a true "antique" guy, and like to have cars that are like they come from the factory. I like points in an engine, I can fix points on the side of the road, I can't fix electronics. I'm not a fan of putting electric starters on early cars that didn't have them. So forth.

That said, as a trimmer, I really enjoy working with Haartz cloth (Stayfast, same thing now). It works well, lays down well, goes around compound curves well, sews well......

From an owner standpoint, it looks great and wears well.

I've put many tops on early cars that probably originally had Pantasote, or a version of oil cloth, or canvas, or other material for tops. The owners are very, very happy with the material and the look.

Judging? Don't have a clue whether this affects judging at all, but it's hard for me to think it does, sure someone will chime in with judging rules. To take points off, you'd have to prove that particular car came with something else from the factory, or that the material was not available at all in nineteen ought whatever on a 1900 something Gogomobile.

Thanks very much for the info. I had a feeling it was right but we sometimes need more than that. I've only seen the car twice and from what I recall it looks quite handsome in that material. You're right trimacar, the proper materials and details are always best. Thanks also for the link. I've gotten to know Eric Haartz over the years and in the last 2-3 years he's a "must see" at Hershey. You may already know he's somewhat expanded the selection of correct materials for different eras. Now I'm anxious to see this thing with a full set of curtains installed. Why do I have a need all of a sudden to watch an old 30s gangster movie?