1958 Special Master Cylinder wtb / installation?

Carbuff2

I need a Master Cylinder for my 1958 Buick Special POWERBRAKE system. I have been told that the removal and re-installation of this item is absolutely impossible. Does anyone know where I can buy a NEW / REBUILT Master Cylinder..........would I be required to purchase the Power Brake Booster which is fine? Is a PBBw/Master Cylinder exchange the way to go? Who rebuilds them? Please let me know. Thanks Paul pduran1860@aol.com confused.gif" border="0 <B>1958 Special Master Cyllinder wtb / installation?</B><B>null</B>

• 3 weeks later...

You can rebuid master cylinder with out rebuidling power brake unit, I have a 1958 Special and I rebuilt mine and also needed to replace piston for master cylinder. It actually sounds worse than it is to remove/reinstall it. I purchase kent-moore special tool # 6618 for $17.00 from Bill Sawrey (865-354-4695). Once removed you can send unit to:Power Brake Systems 431 S. Sierra Way, San Bernandino, CA 92408 (909-884-6980). Hope that helps you.<P>Bob Smukula.<BR> null

My '58 has manual brakes, and it was an ordeal to remove and install the master cylinder. Aside from having to work on your back underneath the dashboard, the large nut that secures it to the firewall is recessed inside the steering column brace and/or the pedal linkage as I recall. The pedal linkage has to be completely removed just to get close to the nut. Try doing this on a standard shift '58 with clutch and brake pedan in the way! You will need a BIG pair of channel locks or water pump pliers to grasp the 2" or 3" nut that secures the master cylinder to the firewall.<P>Pete Phillips, BCA #7338<BR>'58 Special 46-R 3-speed<BR>'50 Special 46-S 3-speed<BR>'54 Century 66-R<BR>'56 Special 46-R

• 2 weeks later...