1955 Desoto 6 to 12 V

Guest presasa

Guest presasa

greetings all - new to this forum

I own a 55 DeSoto and I am in the process of converting the electrical system to a 12v system. The power steering pump is piggy-back to the generator, my thought was leaving the generator and installing a 12V generator voltage regulator, I think this will work.

I would appreciate your comments

AP

1st I have changed 6 volt cars to 12 volts but would not do it again. It is not worth the bother. So much easier just to fix the 6 volt system. You may not see this now, but you will before you get done. Your car is one of the hardest to change to 12 volts and you are only beginning.

2nd your generator will not work, not even with a new regulator. You will have to either buy a new 12v generator or else add an alternator someplace else and then, either jimmy up a new power steering pump or else take the brushes out of the old gen and let it freewheel.

Once you get the generator problem solved you have barely begun. Good luck.

1st I have changed 6 volt cars to 12 volts but would not do it again. It is not worth the bother. So much easier just to fix the 6 volt system. You may not see this now, but you will before you get done. Your car is one of the hardest to change to 12 volts and you are only beginning.

2nd your generator will not work, not even with a new regulator. You will have to either buy a new 12v generator or else add an alternator someplace else and then, either jimmy up a new power steering pump or else take the brushes out of the old gen and let it freewheel.

Once you get the generator problem solved you have barely begun. Good luck.

Guest De Soto Frank

Drove my '55 Fireflite for years on six-volts back in the 1980's - never any electrical problems.

If you're dead-set on the change-over, a generator from a '56 De Soto or Chrysler equipped with power-steering would do the trick. MoPars went 12-volts in '56, and the '55 & '56 are almost identical mechanically.

• 8 years later...

External Hand Brake lining for ‘55 Fireflite 

Anyone rebuilt / replaced their HB lining? Looks like you need to fabricate the lining yourself and rivet the new material to the outer band assembly. Where does one find the lining material? Are there kits available anywhere?

Roger