51 Super 88 rear end and trans

Guest Jonny88

Guest Jonny88

:eek:Hello again everybody, thanks for your help on all other posts prior to this one, I have never seen so many helpful car enthusis, I am gaining new knowlege every week from all of you, thanks once again.

On to my question. I am pretty sure that the B model 1951 Olds Super 88 is a rear wheel drive car, I have not looked underneath at the drive shaft yet, please correct me if not correct.

Dispite if it is rear or front drive, would it be a good idea to drain the oil that sits in the differential and replenish it with new oil. I dont know if this would be a good idea or not.

Also I have been examining the owners manual from 1951 and 1951 service manual, I have a grip on the proper oil to get for a oil change of course. But I am new with the transmission fluid. I dont think they make the kind specified in the book, that was 61 years ago.

Can anybody point me in the right direction for the Proper and Correct transmission fluid for this model Hydra-matic transmission, this is a critical part for my restoration, I am going to drop the trans pan, clean it out and replenish the trans fluid.

The WIERD PART, the past owner must had done such all ready, I checked the oil dip stick last weekend for the first time and it was on the Full line, and the oil color was light, not black or anything such. The trans fluid was also changed in the past, it is at the full line as well, had a redish color to it, but when I wiped it off on a cloth it was black color. I am nervous that the other individual did not put the correct trans fluid in the hydra-matic, maybe he did, ether way I am going to drain and replenish all fluids for the car to start fresh.

Any help would be great, thanks guys.

Jon

You're right - you can't get the original type HydraMatic fluid any more. I think that original stuff was clear. It never hurts to change fluid and filters. That way you know what was done, and when. Whatever the latest form of GM Dexron is (Dexron VI?) should be a good replacement for any previous GM automatic transmission fluid.

Paul

Your Olds is a RWD with a single coupling four speed Hydramatic used by Olds from 1940-1956, Pontiac from 1948-1956 and Cadillac from 1941-1955. There is two versions, single range and later dual range (the difference is in the valve body). This transmission used Type "A" fluid originally. The replacement fluid would be Dexron 3.

Why don't they make Type "A" anymore?? Type "A" has in it's formula whale oil.

Don

Edited by helfen (see edit history)

Guest Jonny88

Thanks guys, Whale oil, I would of never though of that one, perhaps it was very good with lubrication within the transmision.

Thanks guys, Whale oil, I would of never though of that one, perhaps it was very good with lubrication within the transmision.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Even in the early 90's in some Japanese automatic's you had to use their brand of A/T fluid because whale oil was used. FYI it is very good!!

Don