Source of 1970 Riviera Information

Guest fenwick

Guest fenwick

Hi, I just bought my 3rd Riviera, and my second 1970 model. I purchased a new 1967 after I got out of college, and I loved it I later traded it for an new 1970 model, after I burnt the motor up. The dealer had screwed up the gauge panel trying to fix a problem with the "barrel"speedometer. I then sold it in 1975 after someone sideswiped it in a parking lot I have been wanting another one for a long time, so I finally found one that I liked. I love driving it now as much as I did before.

The car has 90,000 miles on it and the previous owner rebuilt the motor and transmission. although he said that they didn't need it I bought a Service Manual, and have started replacing the burnt out dash lights, and some other things that may give me problems later on. The Factory Service Manual leaves a lot to be desired as far as location of sensors and some detailed wiring circuits of them. Does anyone know where I can get more detailed information? I would like to know where the sensors are located. Thanks for the help. Fenwick

Welcome back to the wonderful world of Riviera ownership !!

The '70 GM Shop Manual, along with a '70 Fisher Body Manual, should contain all the info you need to maintain and service your '70 Riviera.

They are the 'Bible' of a collector car owner !!

Another good source of information in addition to this site, is the Riviera Owners Association (ROA) at www.rivowners.org. They also have volunteer Technical Advisors for specific model years, as well as fellow member/owners who are always willing to provide information when they can.

What specific 'sensors' are you trying to locate ? :confused:

Guest fenwick

Thanks for the reply. I have the manuals, and I have finally been able to find the ccircuits. The Oil Pressure light doesn't come on momentarily when I turn the ignition on. The only sensor (or pickup) that I see is on the front of the engine, and I think that it is one of the temperature sensors.

Thanks for the reply. I have the manuals, and I have finally been able to find the ccircuits. The Oil Pressure light doesn't come on momentarily when I turn the ignition on. The only sensor (or pickup) that I see is on the front of the engine, and I think that it is one of the temperature sensors.
I think someone has wired it out of the system since I'm pretty sure the oil pressure sensor is part of the wiring for the electric fuel pump on a '69 and '70. The other easy possiblity is that you have a burned out bulb but it sounds like replacing it was the thing that started this search.

Guest fenwick

I finally found the oil sensor. It was next to the fuel pump. It has 3 wires going to it, one is power and one is going to the low oil pressure light if there is no pressure. It doesn't burn, so the sensor may be bad. The third one puts power on the fuel pump if there is oil pressure. I also found the high head temperature light wire, but there is not a high head temperature sensor there. I'll have to try to find a sensor for it

Thanks for the info about the fuel pump being in the circuit. That made it easiy to find.

Edited by fenwick (see edit history)