Buick Electra 225 Axle Load Distribution Certificate

Guest ArmageddonZ28

Guest ArmageddonZ28

Hello there guys,

I am new with classic cars and I am looking for the axle load distribution certificate for 1968 Buick Electra 225 Convertible. Does any of you have this certificate and if not could you please let me know where I can find it?

Thanks

I've not heard of this "certificate". Is it needed for some titling/registration situation?

When the vehicle was new, a "Manufacturer's Statement of Origin" was generated when the vehicle was built (at the particular factory) and shipped to the dealer. The dealer received this document and it was "closed" (from its "open" status) when the vehicle was first titled/registered. NOT something that a consumer would normally see or know about! I believe this document stated the weight of the vehicle as presented to the shipping company, but no "Axle Distribution" information.

Basically, it appears to relate to the weight distribution of the vehicle, front and rear. Usually, full-size vehicles of that era were typically about 55% front/45% rear. "Intermediate" and smaller cars could be more toward 60% front/40% rear (especially with a "big block" V-8 and air conditioning). Most modern front wheel drive vehicles are also 60%/40%.

In later years, circa 1977, when you looked up replacement springs in the GM parts book, it had "base weight" and you added to it, for each axle, for the various equipment and options the vehicle could have. Later Federal labeling standards would specify the weight each axle would carry with the vehicle at "Maximum Rated Load", but that was more in the 1980s and later plus relating to the vehicle's total weight (at "Max Rated Load").

Still though, I'm curious as to why this information might be desired, with all due respect. Something I might not be aware of?

NTX5467