oil canister top popping off

Guest mjames

Guest mjames

Hello all, ok now that i got the motor running i have another problem.

The engine i have has the full flow oil system. Once i start the engine the top pops off after about 10 seconds and oil spills every where. I tried 3 different times, once with a filter and once without the filter. I even tried to hold the top on by hand but the pressure just popped it off. I took the canister off the block and checked the 2 holes that go into the block from the canister by blowing air thru them just to make sure they weren't clogged, all clear.

Now i am stumped. what would cause this?

2 possibilities. One is the lid is not fastened on right. The other is too much oil pressure.

For the lid, I leave it to you if it was fastened on properly. For the pressure, what does your oil gauge say?

If the pressure relief valve is stuck you could be getting a lot of pressure when you rev up.

By the way did you say the motor was just rebuilt? Is it possible the pressure relief valve was improperly installed?

Guest mjames

Thank you for your response Rusty. I was sitting here watching t.v. last night and thinking what i coulda done wrong when putting engine back together,then it came to me...I forgot to put the clamp ring around the top of the canister..duh.

Problem solved...lol

You forgot to put the clamp ring around the top of the canister? Jeez I was hesitating to suggest you didn't put in the seal and tighten the clamp properly because I did not want to insult your intelligence. What a relief to know I didn't need to worry.

Next time shut off the TV and go look at the car, maybe the answer will come to you quicker.

I don't mind trying to help but there is such a thing as abusing the privilege of being an idiot.

Guest Paul R.

Being a real amateur, I can identify with you mjames. I really enjoy working on my car, but sometimes it takes me a while to figure out what I'm doing.

Guest mjames

Thank you Paul. I do feel like an idiot though, i have worked on cars for years from the 60's to present,but never a car from the 50's. I just had a brain fart. I took every thing apart in October and put in corner till it needed fixed, replaced or just cleaned up,the ring just got lost at the bottom of pile and do to my inexperience with the canister i just forgot.

But i do appreciate your knowledge and willingness to help me Rusty and everybody else who contributes to those of us with lack of knowledge in certain areas.

Guest mjames

No worries Rusty, i can understand your frustration. I feel the same way sometimes when i help my nephew work on his 80 something Firebird. What i think is easy or common sense puzzles him.

But again i do thank you for always willing to help.