Guest HUCKSTER 48

Guest Oldengineer

Welcome - I'm a relative newbie as well. Last Summer, I acquired a decent 48 Fleetmaster 2 door Town Sedan. I'm currently working on some of its issues, and, have found this forum and others to be excellent sources of advice.

Regards:

Oldengineer

Guest HUCKSTER 48

im doing some rust repair on mine ,rockers inner and outter.i finished the trunk and most of the other body work is done,i got the car last year,was sitting in a barn since 72.got it running ,had about 20 qts of oil in it.i think they pickeled it. runs good now,might have a cracked head but thats a easy fix on a 216

Guest Oldengineer

I spent the day trying to get the column shifter in my 48 to work right. I finally concluded that the mechanism at the bottom of the steering column was bent because the two arms wouldn't work together as they should. I ditched the vacuum shifter and put a conversion kit on - got tired of fighting with it. Did some judicious bending of the lower crank arm, and, I think I fixed it. Got to do some rust repair on my floors as well - noticed I've got some holes.

Regards:

Oldengineer

Guest HUCKSTER 48

looks sweet,what do you have in it for motor? mine is pretty well stock,except for artillery wheels

Guest Oldengineer

Huckster:

Under her hood resides a dead stock 90 HP Chevy 216 Stovebolt 6. When I got her, she had a homemade leaky dual exhaust system made partially out of water pipe. I've since replaced the exhaust manifold and eliminated the extra exhaust system. She's nice and quiet now, and, actually runs better. I've got the set of stock wheels for mine, but, can't convince myself to take the chrome wheels and fat radials off her. Only other mod she's got is a working turn signal setup.

Regards:

Oldengineer

Edited by Oldengineer (see edit history)

Guest Oldengineer

The PO had rebuilt the brakes in mine including replacing the master cylinder, wheel cylinders, and the lines. Only thing I've got to replace is a line that's got a compression fitting in the middle of it. The brakes stop her OK, but, not near as good as modern ones. You really have to drive defensively.

Regards:

Oldengineer