83 El Camino won't shift into 3rd... then does

Guest Twilight Fenrir

Guest Twilight Fenrir

Sorry if this car isn't old enough, but it's the only non-vehicle specific car site I know!

I have an '83 El Camino Conquista, with the factory '305 and automatic transmission. When I got out to the highway, it wouldn't shift into 3rd gear. I pulled over and looked at the vacuum line, and it seemed okay... that's honestly the only thing I know to check, I'm not very familiar with automatic transmissions, this is the first time I've ever had a problem with one.

Anyway, so after driving about 20 miles at 35mph with my hazards on, I came to a stop-sign, and after stopping, I accelerated, and as soon as I was about to back off at 35-40mph, it suddenly worked like it always had, and went right into third. So I went the rest of the way home at 55.

There were no irregularities in the acceleration at any point. It shifted fluidly into 2nd, and when it eventually did hit 3rd, it went just as smoothly as it always has. I wouldn't typically worry about a fluke that goes away, but this is a pretty significant one.

Any input would be appreciated, thanks.

You don't make any mention of how many miles are on the trans or if it has ever been rebuilt. Is this a vehicle that sat all winter and is just now coming out? It is not un-heard of for a automatic transmission to be a bit sluggish after a long time sitting. I would check the trans fluid while hot and running. Does it look dark or smell burned? If you have not been a faithful fluid and filler changer in the transmission be careful about rushing to change it. Sometimes in a marginal transmission the old gritty fluid is all that keeps them shifting.

You may wish to add a supplement fluid designed for smoothing shifting in older transmissions like the one Lucas makes.

I would vote most of your trouble may ease after driving a bit more. The worst thing that will happen is it will come in on a tow truck, right?

Guest Twilight Fenrir
You don't make any mention of how many miles are on the trans or if it has ever been rebuilt. Is this a vehicle that sat all winter and is just now coming out? It is not un-heard of for a automatic transmission to be a bit sluggish after a long time sitting. I would check the trans fluid while hot and running. Does it look dark or smell burned? If you have not been a faithful fluid and filler changer in the transmission be careful about rushing to change it. Sometimes in a marginal transmission the old gritty fluid is all that keeps them shifting.

You may wish to add a supplement fluid designed for smoothing shifting in older transmissions like the one Lucas makes.

I would vote most of your trouble may ease after driving a bit more. The worst thing that will happen is it will come in on a tow truck, right?

Oh, sorry, I intended to note the mileage but forgot :P it's got 135K on the engine and trans, never been rebuilt. It's always been the most reliable of my vehicles. Only regular maintenence, and an alternator.

And, yes, it's sat up on blocks all winter, I just pulled it down and started driving it the day before yesterday. I haven't changed the trans fluid/filter since I got it. But it's spent every winter on blocks, and have only had it for 2-3 years. Hasn't tacked on many miles. Did change it when I first got it though.

But, I'm a little confused now... should I /not/ change the fluid/filter? I mean, if it comes down to it, I have an '82 with a cracked engine, and the same transmission that doesn't need it... And, I have roadside assistance on my insurance, So no worries about getting towed :D

Guest Twilight Fenrir
NO ghost rider. You either change transmissions all the time or leave it alone.

I would NOT change that fluid or filter. At that mileage you are really into the rebuild range. I vote for drive it til it won't shift.

LOL, What? Really? That's insane! I usually do it with every 3rd or 4th oil-change. My '83 has only racked up 2 oil changes.

Not too long ago I bought a '66 Toronado. It was sitting in a garage for the last 21+ years... should I not change the fluid on that?

Edited by Twilight Fenrir (see edit history)

No need to laugh when someone is trying to share information I have learned.

I'm now the one who is confused. What mileage interval does your manual call for? 25,000-30,000? I don't know your number. Have you done a good job of sticking to that number? If somewhere along the ownership 25,000 miles became more like 50,000 you run a risk of entering clean fluid into the transmission. The transmission clutch packs work on a friction basis. The old fluid contains more grit than the clean fluid will. You remove all the grit you may remove all the friction between the plates. A worn out transmission may fail at that point.

Your best bet would be search professional advice on your exact transmission.

A trans shop which is reputable will know your transmission and it's life expectancy. Perhaps they can guide you better than advice from a forum.

Guest Twilight Fenrir
No need to laugh when someone is trying to share information I have learned.

I'm now the one who is confused. What mileage interval does your manual call for? 25,000-30,000? I don't know your number. Have you done a good job of sticking to that number? If somewhere along the ownership 25,000 miles became more like 50,000 you run a risk of entering clean fluid into the transmission. The transmission clutch packs work on a friction basis. The old fluid contains more grit than the clean fluid will. You remove all the grit you may remove all the friction between the plates. A worn out transmission may fail at that point.

Your best bet would be search professional advice on your exact transmission.

A trans shop which is reputable will know your transmission and it's life expectancy. Perhaps they can guide you better than advice from a forum.

Alright, I understand, thank you very much :D Makes sense in a way, but it just surprised me.

The truck hasn't even seen 20k since I bought it. I don't know what the maintenence was like before that point, but it seems to have been reasonably well cared for. It looks like everything under the hood is orriginal, so it's had an easy life.

I don't keep that good of track of miles for the trans, I run full synthetic motor-oil, and I keep track and change that arround every 6-7k. So I know I should think sbout the trans at the third, and do it if I haven't by the 4th. Don't have the ownees manual, just use rule-of-thumb. I also check the fluid regularly, though I didn't last year because I wasn't the one driving it.

Fun question: is it possible to have water in the system? It seems to me it could have had ice in it that melted when the fluid got hot enough. It was a pretty cold day...

Thanks again, I was really worried about it, but I feel better about it know.

Guest Jim_Edwards

Good Grief! A flushing of the valve body along with a fresh filter and modulator might well correct the problem without a rebuild for a lot less money than a rebuild. If that doesn't do the trick then it can always be rebuilt. No need to fix something that isn't clearly in need of fixing!

Jim

Guest Twilight Fenrir

Well, just ran the fluid change and it's still having the same issues. I'll order a modulator from o'Riely's tomorrow and throw that in. Loaded it up with Dexron VI for good measure. Everything above the pan looked to be in really good shape.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Twilight Fenrir

Well, I finally went ahead and brought it in to a transmission shop. It was infact, the Governer. Threw a new one in there, and it works good as new. Cost more than if I did it myself, but made life easier, and wasn't too expensive all-in-all.

Thanks for the help