More DA questions

Guest MidTNDawg

Guest MidTNDawg

While I still await parts, I have a couple more questions. First, and maybe a little late, what grease do you use in the throw-out bearing cup and also in the distributor cup? Also, I have an oil drip at the bottom of my oil filter. I removed the filter from the bracket, removed the cartridge, cleaned it, removed the fittings. Nothing appears to be, or has been, cross threaded. Cannot retest yet but any thoughts about why it may be leaking? From another thread, it seems the consensus is to use non-detergent oil in the engine. Any replies appreciated.

Doug

Any meduim weight cup grease would be fine, if you ever do need to replace that than obviousely you will want to go with a sealed bearing in which I can give you a part # and explain the minor mods that have to be performed.

Try a thread tape on the oil filter, maybe your oil is a little thinned from someone running around with choke a little closed and adding fuel to bottom of pan, dont know if you ever changed the oil.

Manual will clearly tell you how to take care of dist. couple of drops of light oil ( I like sewing machine oil ) is all it needs every once in a while and the same cup grease on the shaft.

Might be also the filter needs changing

Guest MidTNDawg

Jason, thanks. Absolutely no throw-out bearing noise now but who knows. Will try the tape. Oil looks good, not too dirty looking but may as well change oil and filter while I am down. It has a NAPA filter now which seems to fit very well so I assume is appropriate. Doug

Yes Napa nd others made an aftermarket filter which used to be a pretty accessible replacement but I dont think they are avail. anymore. I guess guys are using other filters and adapting fittings to make them work. One day I am going to experiment with hooking up a kerosine ( or equivelent ) pump/filter to an original filter and see if I can fluch one out.

At one point I took an original filter and inserted a modern filter to the inside of it and it looks great since the splice is down the center and the original bracket pretty much covered up the cut.

Then I went ahead and made a filter case from scratch and offered these for sale but there was little interest I know due to cost, the filter alone from Napa at my discounted cost was around 400 dollars.

I really enjoy talking oil filters, the one on the left is an original unpierced unit meaning it never made it as far as having the fittings installed, ( this is the only one I have ever seen ) the middle unit is an original with my filter installed and the one on the right is the case I was making, I have not split this one open yet to install filter since it was the first one I had made and their was no buyer. I did not make any others but still have my molds, I will use this one eventually and am gratefull for the experince.

post-48869-143138489105_thumb.jpg

What a great looking filter, ( and I really mean that ) if you ever decide to part with it let me know. I will see if I can identify it, I have not ever seen that one

Guest MidTNDawg

Jason, I will get a picture anf post it. Mine is very similar but different. Wish I had taken a pic while I had it off and a part. Doug

Thanks Doug, aftermarket filter, I have seen the before, I assume it has a replaceable cartridge? I have never seen one apart but I assume lid comes off and then maybe a paper element of some sort

Guest MidTNDawg

Yeah, I suspected aftermarket, but then I once thought pretty much all oil filters were aftermarket. Correct as to the cartridge. Seems pretty effective for the oil which does pass through the filter. Comes in through the top line and has to go through the cartridge to exit the bottoma nd return to the crankcase.

Doug

Gundog I should have asked you yesterday via e-mail but did Plymouth use or was Plymouth avail with factory installed oil filter. I suspect not on their first series 4 cyl cars at least. Looking briefly thru my Purolator info does not indicate a filter of any kind wether A/C or Puro. but there is a kit 21 for first series and kit 25 ( both of which I have photos and detailed dialouge on ) avail for the cars from as they put it .....all models first to May 30 and then again on another line all models June 1930 to June 1931 and then it goes on a few more different lines and begins with information about floating power cars.

I may be reading this incorrectly but it would seem at a brief glance that Plymouth may have not used a factory installed filter until the Plymouth PC ( Oct 32 to April 33 ) If you would like me to confirm this as best as I can let me know, it will just take a little time and I wont spend it unless you have a real need to know. I was sorta hoping that maybe you could tell me what you know and again if nothing than just say the word and I wll spend a little more time on this no problem.

Just as an afterthought the kits run about 5-6 dollars each, alot of money back then....about an average weeks pay in some cases if I am not mistaken

There is also a kit 43 mentioned as well as being avail for these early models which again I have clear photos/details of.

One thing that I have just noticed whilst looking for the cartridge you show above is that Puro. had very distinct looks about them, I would be willing to bet that the cartridge shown above is an A/C filter. I do have some early A/C filter adds but dont know where they are now.

It would be interesting to know if there were any other manuf. back then? Do you or anyone know. 24 was first year of introduction of filter, nice to say it was first used on a Maxwell which as you may know was the predeccesor to the new Chryslers, as a matter of fact Chryslers and Maxwells were sold side by side on the showroom floor for some short months and even shared the same toolkits ( but that is another story ) Most people would agree ( its a fact ) that the first Plymouth motors were indeed of Maxwell design, that as Chrysler was thought to be phasing out the Maxwell he was actually only regrouping to reform the Maxwell with a Plymouth namebadge.

First Puro. filter had a sight glass inbedded in its side to see how dirty the filter was, I would like to find one of these. Hope this helps and Iook forward to anything you or anyone else can add to this.

Edited by 1930 (see edit history)

Just for the sake of any interest here is another what I believe to be A/C unit again unpierced. This was the term used on a filter to signify that it had not reached the point of allocation yet. Many different cars used different fittings with different thread counts and angles of nipples and this one never made it as far as being installed or even allocated to any specific vehicle.

Yes Doug for many cars even going into the early thirties after the depression had wiped out 200 plus auto makers an oil filter was still an accessory that could be added on after the fact but the majority of them came with filters. If you were to remove the filter maybe because you could not afford the replacement cartridge your warranty was void.

I suspect that Dodge did not use a filter before 28 when Chrysler took over, my documents do not indiacte a filter prior to 28 but it would be nice if someone could confirm this for me.

First Dodge to show a Puro. was the first standard six in 28 so does anyone know if Dodge used any other brand filter prior to that. I am guessing noone knows and most likely noone cares. I will find out anyway and report my findings back here at some point

post-48869-143138490355_thumb.jpg

Sadly there are no makes on the filter case, the ends are painted black and the body has been over painted John Dear Green.

I would be very interested in copies of the details and photos of kit 21( for first series), kit 25 and kit 43. The Plymouth U 's engine seems to have had a number of changes during the 1929/30 production run, it is possible the kits had to evolve as well.

I have a 29 Plymouth parts manual and maybe a 28, I will look and see but now that you mention it I dont think I remember seeing this and think that I have looked in the past. I will scan those filters for you if my scanner will cooperate

Looked in my parts manuals and that confirm no filter original equipment on first series cars or the second series. Kit 43 was intended for floating power cars so I would assume that would be the 31 PA models. I have attached it here anyway. All of these documents are taken from original documents and there have been no alterations, I try and scan and then put away the originals so there is less handling of them. Some of this stuff is pretty brittle. Hope this helps

post-48869-143138491197_thumb.jpg

post-48869-143138491214_thumb.jpg

post-48869-143138491229_thumb.jpg

post-48869-143138491246_thumb.jpg

post-48869-143138491261_thumb.jpg

post-48869-143138491278_thumb.jpg