Boyce Motometer:Swap "Screen"Re-Assemble

48customfastback

Boyce Motometer: Swap "Screen" & Re-Assemble:

I have an 1920's NOS Boyce Motometer. I would like to swap the NOS original "Boyce" insert with my existing "Packard" insert. Then I would like to re-assemble the unit.

Do these things come apart easy? Are there gaskets which must be replaced? Can you get them?...maybe re-use the old? Are these things assembled with some type of vacuum? I am very relauctant to take apart my NOS unless I minimize all risks of damage. My original Motometer is very clean but the nickel is 90 years old. My new one is extraordinary.

Thanks!

I do not have the info on hand, but if you will check out the Feb or Mar issue of my newsletter, Car Collector Chronicles (see link in sig), there is an article on these. The article includes the info you need regarding the premiere parts supplier

Guest kaycee

Assumming both motometers are the same diameter and Boyce Motometer brand, this should be simple .The lenses come off with removing the outer rings that are attached with four screws on the front and rear, and the inner pieces (like Packard) are just a flat disc that just come right out. You should be able to reuse the old ring gaskets with no problem. Just be careful not to break the tube. I'm going by my own experience on a lot of Boyce Motometers that I've replaced 'discs' and lenses on. Please keep us posted.

:) kaycee

kaycee is right - I've done this several times with no problem.

Also, when the mercury separATES IN A bOYCE mOTOMETER, put the unit in your freezer for awhile, tap it slightly on its base, and it should be as good as new.