carb gaskets & heatshield

Guest rls65rls

Guest rls65rls

hi my helpful friends, I ordered a heatshield from chicago corette that Riv Nut suggested, thanks Riv Nut, now, I'm wondering about the gaskets and how their installed? CARS inc. recomends a gasket, the heatshield, and another gasket. Is this correct? or what is the correct way of installing these gaskets. thanks rls65rls

The shop manual says to put the metal plate (not exactly a heat shield, more of a shield to protect the base of the carb from exhaust gases) directly up against the carb base with no gasket. It says to use a gasket between the intake manifold and the metal shield.

This would be the best configuration for winter driving where you want the base of the carb to get warmed up well.

If you are not too worried about driving int he cold, then I would suggest what CARS told you and sandwich the shield between 2 gaskets. That's what I did, to guarantee no vacuum leak at the carb.

In fact, I have plugged off the holes on top of the intake manifold that are designed to supply exhaust gases to the underside of the metal shield plate to warm it up. I don't miss it. It is not that cold in Houston.

I special ordered 2 gaskets from my local auto part store last time I needed them (FelPro 9803).

Guest rls65rls

thanks jim, the car will only be driven in the summer up here in wis. so I'll take your advice and go with the two gaskets. again thanks for the advice. rls65rls